Thread: Latest Build: Mother's Day Rolling Bar Cart

Latest Build: Mother's Day Rolling Bar Cart

Posting this here because this is my favorite sub-forum on this site and this was made using mostly hand tools with the exception of ripping the stock and cutting the Rabbet for the shelf slats. Stock was all hand planed to thickness and top was flattened and smoothed with a couple of the old Stanleys I have restored.

Made this rolling bar cart for my mom for mother's day. Funny thing is, as i was applying the last coat of finish to it last night she actually texted me asking if I could build her some sort of serving cart she could use on her patio . Base is Sapele, shelf slats are red oak and the top is a piece of older oak counter top that they tore out of my parent's kitchen when they had it remodeled. It is great stuff at 1.5" thick and I have already made several large cutting boards out of the 3 4'x36" sections they gave me. Finished it with a homemade wipe on varnish made with 1 part poly, 1 part BLO, and 1 part mineral spirits. First time using wipe on varnish and I am really pleased with the results. Ended up with a glass smooth finish that is much more even than my other experiences with brushed on finishes.

"When I got home, I drank six more glasses of whiskey and then I finished crafting this small harp, using a bandsaw, a spokeshave, and an oscillating spindle sander." - Ron Swanson

Very nice! Whenever I build gifts for an occasion it seems I am scrambling to get it finished in time, the finish barely dry when it's given, ha. You're a month and a half ahead of schedule, very impressive.

Agreed on the wipe-on varnish. Especially when you add the BLO it's essentially foolproof, and gives a lovely sheen.

Haha yeah Robert, i'm kind of in the same boat. Had to get it done by Easter as we are meeting my folks at our place in MS. And since we live 800 miles away, I won't see them again before mother's day
    "When I got home, I drank six more glasses of whiskey and then I finished crafting this small harp, using a bandsaw, a spokeshave, and an oscillating spindle sander." - Ron Swanson

Nice looking project....

Very nice.

Well done. Your Mom should be really happy with that cart. She may even brag on you just a little.
    Jim

That's very nice. Very well proportioned. What are the dimensions?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    That's very nice. Very well proportioned. What are the dimensions?
    Top is 16x30" base is 26w x12d and around 32" high