Thread: Free or reasonable cost stair design program for diy build of winder stairs

Free or reasonable cost stair design program for diy build of winder stairs

I am looking to build a winder stair set and there seems to be lots of freebies out there to download but I am unsure which one will give me what I need. I am looking for one that I can design the stairs, give 3d views and also give me a cut list of all the parts.

Free of course would be best but I would not be against a reasonable charge for software that would give me what I need to design and construct the stairs. Does anyone have any software that they would recommend?

I use Sketchup, and found it adequate for building a winder. Pics attached. Didn't give me a cut list, but so what? Gave me everything else I needed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not what you asked, but straight runs with landings are a lot safer for the inhabitants (especially of they are getting older) as well as being easier to build and easier to comply with codes.

Good job Gene. Your stairs look very nice. Unfortunately I don't know sketch up so I am hoping to find a program that will produce a cut list since I am starting from scratch. What did you use for stringer material Gene. It looks like you used rim joist. I am thinking of using glue lam or rim joist since they are straight and uniform. Roger I need to use one set of winders to shorten up the run enough to fit the location without being too steep. I wish I had room to avoid the winder but I don't. Life would be much simpler.