Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Building Your Own Oneida Realtime Filter Efficiency Gauge

Bud, thanks for the input. I just installed a .5 micron from wynn filters, I'm really happy with it especially when comparing it with the original felder felt bag.

Ok, as I understand it the Magnehelic model 2005 0-5 pressure gauge will measure up to 5 inches of water pressure (positive pressure). How does inches of water correlate to PSI (or is it the same)? I want to mount one on my new Wynn nano filter before I start using it to keep tabs on its loading so I know when to clean it. I have a small shop (16x18) that I am setting up 5/6" dust collection ducting now using a single stage 1.75 HP DC. If I mount to the top metal part of the Wynn cartridge filter, how do I keep the little tube that goes to the gauge from getting clogged? Randy
    Last edited by Randall J Cox; 05-31-2016 at 9:24 AM.

Very nice Ben.

You can also build a manometer with a length of 1/4" clear tubing and some water in it...........Rod.

Thanks to your help, I got my gauge up and running.
    I noticed my gauge was bouncing around a lot, I fixed it by plugging the 1 extra high port, low port, and slightly plugging the second low port.
    Also if you think your gauge is not working because it won't leave "0"... open a blast gate. duh. damhikt

Nicely done Dan! Just out of curiosity what did you use to plug the unused ports?
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Ben
    The gauge comes with 2 pipe plugs (1/8" or 3/16" npt) I scavenged another plug off a broken air regulator.

OK, my Magnehelic 2005 gauge just arrived, bought off ebay. Gauge goes to 5 in of water. Don't have it hooked up yet. Probably will tap off top of filter, hopefully won't get plugged with sawdust. At what positive pressure should I consider cleaning filter (pleated Wynn nano)? Randy

Oneida says at 3" of pressure. Mine with a new filter and 2 blast gates open runs at 1.25". After filling the drum once, it was up to a little over 1.5".

Jason

Jason, ok, good to know, thanks. Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    I have a dual gauge setup, one for filter loss, the other for system suction. (Pic taken just before cleaning the filter) And I keep a plot of the fan curve handy. You really don't need a fancy pitot tube as you are not measuring velocity pressure, just use a threaded x barbed brass fitting.
    I have the guage, want to mount in top of Wynn nano filter. So what exactly is a threaded x barbed brass fitting? Thanks.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Randall J Cox View Post
    I have the guage, want to mount in top of Wynn nano filter. So what exactly is a threaded x barbed brass fitting? Thanks.

Randy
    He's referring to this: 2 came with my guage.
    https://www.amazon.com/Dixon-Valve-B...d+hose+fitting

Got it all hooked up. With new filter, Magnehelic gauge just jiggles a little barely off 0 while running. It does work as I blew into it through the connection tube before connecting. As nano filter is brand new, guess its all working like it should. Thanks for all the info and help to all on this. Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Randall J Cox View Post
    Got it all hooked up. With new filter, Magnehelic gauge just jiggles a little barely off 0 while running. It does work as I blew into it through the connection tube before connecting. As nano filter is brand new, guess its all working like it should. Thanks for all the info and help to all on this. Randy
    You did leave one of the low pressure ports open to the air didn't you? I made that mistake and couldn't figure out why my gauge never left 0. The gauge measures the difference between the low and high pressure ports.

Jason, yes I did. I verified it was working properly by blowing into it before installing. Thanks. Randy

I just installed one of these yesterday after seeing it here. Mine is on an Oneida 2.5 hp cyclone with older non-HEPA filter. I had the dreaded filter with chips and dust phenomenon recently and cleaned up the filter with compressed air. So, it is pretty clean. The gauge reads about 0.7, so not even 1. I attributed it to relatively clean filter.