Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What colour should I paint my workshop walls?

What colour should I paint my workshop walls?

I've recently received permission from my partner to set up shop in a large room in the basement. I'm almost done building a small roubo and envision a mostly hand tool shop although I will be moving my machinery in too. I would like to achieve a historical wood shop look...think the shop used by frank strazza as seen on youtube. Any ideas for a good colour for such a theme? I realise this is unusual but I'd appreciate any input.
    Last edited by Hasin Haroon; 03-20-2016 at 2:33 AM.

White semi gloss, because you want reflected light to help you see well in the shop. Good lighting is important, especially in a basement shop.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

+1 White Semi Gloss.

I've just painted my basement ... there was a 'thread' here several months-ago that promoted an 'argument' for semi-gloss 'bone'.
    At the time, it seemed like a good argument ... and I painted the walls bone.
    While the paint itself looks good ... and I'm not altogether happy with the resulting color reflection ... so I've done very little with putting 'stuff' back on-the-walls.
    I may splurge and re-coat with semi gloss white.

For me, shop space is just another tool. I don't care what it looks like, I want to serve my needs.
    I used a flat ultra white and 5000K fluorescent lights, which gives me a well lit shop and color tones similar to outdoor light. Very important during finishing.

100_3524.jpg 100_3523.jpg
    Last edited by Charles Wiggins; 03-20-2016 at 3:28 PM.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

If you want semi gloss buy the "gloss". Government meddling has redefined the glossary.

I painted mine the color of sawdust at the insistence of SWMBO. But white is probably a better choice.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Practicality and reducing eye strain outweigh historical ambiance, IMO. The older you get the more important good lighting becomes. The walls & ceiling of my shop are semi gloss white, I wouldn't want it any other way.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Hasin, what kind of wall surface do you have in the shop? Is it all poured concrete? Cinder block? Half framed wood, half masonry?

One way to simultaneously achieve the goals of a classic-looking shop AND good light, would be to go for a board and batten look, and paint it all white. Or maybe you could put up some pine tongue and groove, and paint it white.

Check out Joshua Farnsworth's shop. He went with the board and batten look and painted it all white. I think it looks great and does a great job of reflecting light.

If you have a half concrete, half wood wall, you could do this look for the upper portion, and simply paint the concrete part the same color.

Just a thought. I'm with you- I DO care wht my shop looks like. I think aesthetics can influence our mindset and inspire us to do good work rather than rushing through things. My shop isn't just a utility space to me. It's an escape. It's a place to create art. It's not a assembly line where I only care about efficiency- that's the kind of thinking I apply to my day job, and my shop is where I go to forget about all of that. But to each his own! That's the joy of this hobby- you can do whatever you want!

Blog Entries
    I would love to have Joshua Farnsworth's shop, but in my opinion the white is TOO white.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?ebc=ANyP...&v=D3NW75a9qjE

I do love the "Shaker Blue" trim work. Personally I would go with a very pale yellow with white trim. It makes it a bit less stark, but reflects plenty of light in natural color temperatures. Here is my living room- same colors. The only lighting in this photo is two 60w equivalent led 2700k lights on the opposite wall.

image.jpg

I love this shop! I agree with you Peter, that's exactly how I feel too. It's in a finished basement, so is drywalled. Doesnt get much external light, and has fluorescent lighting. I wanted a deep colour that would reflect a more historical ambience, but it looks like white is the consensus. Your link is a good compromise, I just need to think of how to achieve this now!

Perfect- you're starting from a good spot. I think he put the battens up over drywall, nailing them in to the stud locations. He touches on it briefly in this video. It will take a bit of patience to lay everything out, but I think it looks awesome.

He goes into it a bit in the later part of this video:

Flat white or slightly off white. Flat paint has less hot spotting.

I went all flat white. May go over it someday with white semi-gloss, but IMO as long as its all white its good as you get the benefit of light reflection lighting up the area better.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I suggest a light color. I painted mind a very light cream and it's very sterile. If I ever repainted it will be a light color to add some warmth. For what ever color use semi gloss. Flat paint tends to let dust stick to it.
    Don

Hasin,

You mention liking a deep color. Here is my experience: In my family room which is a light tan color, there is a 4' deep alcove that used to be a wet bar. It was the perfect size for my roll top desk. We painted the alcove in a deep maroon for contrast with the rest of the family room.

The dark color just sucked up the light. There were two old recessed fixtures in the alcove, and I tried several kinds of lights, but never had enough light to work at the desk. I also put a bankers light, AND a swivel arm light near the desk....still not enough. Remember this is a 4' deep , 9' wide alcove, open to the family room.

After years of putting up with it, I finally got two 12" square LED (1700 Lumens each) flat panel lights from HD, and installed them where the original fixtures were. We now have good light for the desk.

It was unbelievable just how much light that dark color sucked up.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.