Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else getting spammed by some idiot Larry Kirk @ amazing woodworking plans

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    This was already discussed here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...nknown-senders
    DON'T do that.
    Myk,

This is the 1st time I ever sent an "unsubscribe" email to any organization other than using the Unsubscribe buttons on businesses like Hilton Inns, Holiday Inn, etc.

The question is how did my email address end up on Google group without my knowledge or consent.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 03-20-2016 at 4:15 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

AAs far as I can tell there is no Google group it is just a facade that the spammed uses to make it seem legit.
    Paul

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    My recommendation is never to "unsubscribe" from obvious spam. All you're doing is validating your email address. The "unsubscribed" email addresses are then sold as guaranteed valid addresses.

The people who send out that spam have no interest in limiting who they send email out to. And it would cost them some money to cull their address lists of people who have "unsubscribed". Put yourself in their place and think only of your economic interest - Now, what would you do? That's what they'll do.

Mike

[It's okay to unsubscribe from name companies, such as Lands End, Orvis, etc. They will honor your unsubscribe request.]

This ^^^^ all of this ^^^^.

Very little about spam email is valid... the "group" you are supposedly a part of, the privacy notice attached at the bottom, the physical address listed for the business, etc. Two things, and two things only are going to be valid (and not in a good way)... the link to the "product", and the "unsubscribe" link. Click on either and you just set yourself up for a boatload of more spam.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Larry had the honor of being the subject of my first Thunderbird email filter entry. His efforts go straight to 'delete'.

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't know for sure. But I would guess that you could put an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly cap on sent emails.

Hmmm... That's not a bad idea. You go into your email account and set the caps and you get an email from your ISP if you hit a cap. That email would have to include some sort of validation involving an image like Captcha to prove that you are human. Generally, hitting a cap would tell you that you have a bot infection and you need to find it. Such a thing would also make it less worthwhile for the guys creating the trojans. If they have to go to a lot of trouble to infect your machine only to get 50 emails out of the deal, they would have to infect a great many machines to generate the millions of emails they need to be successful.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    I wouldn't know for sure. But I would guess that you could put an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly cap on sent emails.

Hmmm... That's not a bad idea. You go into your email account and set the caps and you get an email from your ISP if you hit a cap. That email would have to include some sort of validation involving an image like Captcha to prove that you are human. Generally, hitting a cap would tell you that you have a bot infection and you need to find it. Such a thing would also make it less worthwhile for the guys creating the trojans. If they have to go to a lot of trouble to infect your machine only to get 50 emails out of the deal, they would have to infect a great many machines to generate the millions of emails they need to be successful.
    The emails aren't generally being sent from your personal machine, they're being sent by a server... and the folks running servers are watchful of where their bandwidth is going.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    This ^^^^ all of this ^^^^.

Very little about spam email is valid... the "group" you are supposedly a part of, the privacy notice attached at the bottom, the physical address listed for the business, etc. Two things, and two things only are going to be valid (and not in a good way)... the link to the "product", and the "unsubscribe" link. Click on either and you just set yourself up for a boatload of more spam.
    I'll just add to Dan's comment: Sometimes the "unsubscribe" link will take you to a "blackmail" page, where it tells you that your data has been encrypted and if you want to be able to access it again, call this number. They will then ask you for your credit card number - which they will charge for the blackmail, but then they'll sell your credit card info.

Usually, the blackmail web page will be set up so you can't close it - you try to "X" it out and it doesn't work. You try to shut down your browser and you can't. Just power down your computer and when you start it up again, close the web page before it can load again. They haven't encrypted your data.

Mike

[I know people who gave their credit card to these people - they don't give you the code to close out the web page right away - they delay sending it so they can use your card somewhere. I also got a "blackmail" page one time and shut down my computer and all was fine.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 03-21-2016 at 6:26 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I haven't heard from Larry, so I'm feeling left out
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Ah, Larry old buddy.... Had one visit, took the appropriate measures, bye bye Larry.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Had a couple people ask about the spam program I mentioned. It doesn't work with windows 10 and I'm not sure if the developer is still in operation. For your interest though it was called spamitback.
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I'll just add to Dan's comment: Sometimes the "unsubscribe" link will take you to a "blackmail" page, where it tells you that your data has been encrypted and if you want to be able to access it again, call this number. They will then ask you for your credit card number - which they will charge for the blackmail, but then they'll sell your credit card info.

Usually, the blackmail web page will be set up so you can't close it - you try to "X" it out and it doesn't work. You try to shut down your browser and you can't. Just power down your computer and when you start it up again, close the web page before it can load again. They haven't encrypted your data.

Mike

[I know people who gave their credit card to these people - they don't give you the code to close out the web page right away - they delay sending it so they can use your card somewhere. I also got a "blackmail" page one time and shut down my computer and all was fine.]
    No need to shut down. In windows just use the Ctl Alt Del keys and select task manager, click on the browser and then on end task. In mac click on the black apple logo in the top left. Select force quit option from the list, click on the browser and click force quit.
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ashton View Post
    No need to shut down. In windows just use the Ctl Alt Del keys and select task manager, click on the browser and then on end task. In mac click on the black apple logo in the top left. Select force quit option from the list, click on the browser and click force quit.
    To add to that... if you force a shut down on FireFox, the next time you start it you're given the option to selectively enable/disable each of the previously open windows before they all open up. Deselect all of the spam and offending windows, then start as usual.

You're right. I just didn't think of that. Thanks for pointing that out.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

everyone on this thread getting it has something in common
    ron

I'm thinking it's time to fight back. I found a little program that will allow me to hammer their inbox with thousands of emails - each with unique return addresses! I think I'll attach a 2meg file to each one as well.
    2mb of text will work better. That way they'll get it without having to open an attachment. Maybe Pi to several million places.
    Here it is to 10 million, but don't open it. It'll take a while for you to get it. pi.karmona.com/
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 03-22-2016 at 8:10 PM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night