Thread: Corner Table

Corner Table

Here's a three legged corner table that my wife asked for. It's made from one mahogany board that I had left from when I made her a coffee table.

It has a curved front and a "serving tray" type top.

I made the front curved piece by "brick laying" pieces of wood (not all mahogany), cutting the curve on the bandsaw, and then veneering the front with mahogany veneer.
    CornerTable01.jpg

For me, projects that incorporate curves always wind up being fairly complex. Before I made this one, I made a prototype in ash - and I'm glad I did. It allowed me to work out some joinery and design issues. Here's the prototype:
    CornerTable05.jpg

I decided to make the front two legs a bit more decorative by "fluting" them. The way I made them was to cut three pieces of mahogany, round one edge, and then glue them back together.
    CornerTable02.jpg

The top was really nerve racking. I routed out the middle, always keeping in mind that I didn't have any more mahogany, and especially mahogany that would match the rest of the table.
    CornerTable04.jpg

It took a fair amount of hand work with carving tools to get the top the way I wanted it.
    CornerTable03.jpg

All I have on it now is a coat of dewaxed shellac. I'll complete the finishing in the next few days. I'm pleased with the way it came out.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Beautiful table!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Very nice table. I particularly like the fluting on the legs. Excellent job!

Very Nice! I love machining mahogany. Outside the box on your fluting technique.
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.

Very nice Mike!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....