Thread: CNC capable of cutting MultiPly?

CNC capable of cutting MultiPly?

Hi,

I plan on purchasing a small (2x4) CNC in April, and my primary materials will be solid woods (poplar, pine, mahogany), and high quality plywoods such as Russian birch ply.

I'd like to hear your thoughts, opinions and experiences with the following machines, and if I can reasonably expect them to cut through 1/2" and 3/4" multiply:

1) Zenbot 2448 (with a Bosch 2hp router)
    2) CAMaster Stinger 1
    3) Axiom AutoRoute 8 (Rockler)

My day job is creating cnc programs in VCarve Pro and Cut 3D for a FMT Patriot 4x8 machine, so I'm very familiar with the process and software end of it, and I'm looking for your knowledge and experience with the machines ability to precisely and robustly handle these materials in small qtys.

Thanks in advance!

Pete

and if I can reasonably expect them to cut through 1/2" and 3/4" multiply
    Define "reasonably"?

Any machine can cut baltic birch. How fast do you want to cut, how many passes, and what size tools?

Of the machines you listed, the Zenbot is a toy.
    The Axiom lists the rapid rates at 200ipm? I'd want something that can cut faster than that.
    Gerry

JointCAM

You're comparing apples & oranges.

My Stinger 1 doesn't have any problem with those materials. My machine has a 1.7kw spindle. I use it as a hobby, not as a money generator, so I don't push it hard. I would not attempt to cut 3/4" in one pass but with good material hold down, a quality 3/8" compression bit, and good DC it will cut it in 2 passes all day long.

I can't speak to the other two machines.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thanks for the replies guys.
    I realize they're not comparable models, but I'm trying to see where in that range my needs will be met.
    I am not looking for the ability to run cabinet shop level production, but small runs where precision and repeatability without any unwanted and errant dips and bumps in the x-y travel.
    I certainly don't mind having to cut three-quarter inch material in three or four passes.
    I am wondering what makes the Zenbot considered toylike? Is it the materials used for the gantry uprights, or something else?
    Thanks again!
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Pedisich View Post
    I am wondering what makes the Zenbot considered toylike? Is it the materials used for the gantry uprights, or something else?
    It's made out of plastic.
    There's a reason it's 1/3 the price of the others.
    Gerry

JointCAM

Also the Stinger I is only 24X36

List of various CNC designs on a wiki page at the HobbyCNC subreddit at reddit

I have one - nothing else to compare to, but I'm happy with it.

Probotix.com
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Also the Stinger I is only 24X36
    CAMaster can build you a Stinger to fit the table size you need.

I have a Camaster Stinger I with a PC router, I cut 3/8" baltic birch every week. I use onsrud 1/4" compression bits and cut in one pass at 125ipm. I could go faster, but I find this speed works best.
    My previous CNC was a bit of a high end hobby machine, I cut in two passes at 75ipm.

The Camaster is a great machine

Shopbot has a few models that will fit you requirements

Take a look at the weight of all the machines you mentioned. Based on that alone, it is easy to predict which machine is the most rigid.

I appreciate all the input... It's been helpful. I am trying to find a space now, and am leaning towards the cammaster