Thread: Photography tips for shooting furniture

Photography tips for shooting furniture

These tips are so easy to follow - you don't have to really be a pro or have an expensive camera to take "pro" shots - just change your methods a bit. Even with just your camera phone.

#1 rule - NEVER use the built in flash. Next time you peruse through any of FWW Design Books try to find any shot which they use a flash. I can virtually guarantee none.

Just following this tip alone will improve your shots. You want your piece to look great right? The only way to get across the 3D effect is to not wash the entire pc with the even light of a flash, not to mention how the hot spots and reflections ruin it.

So you need the flash because handholding will make it blurry without the flash? Bad excuse. Use a tripod if you have one, but before I had $ for a tripod, I simply set the camera on a table or something solid to get the sharpness in low light. Then I realized that my halogen shop light made a great photo light - plenty bright enough. I still just use a door frame or my forklift cuz im too lazy to drag out the tripod.

#2 - Utilize natural sunlight. You can get amazing color. Is it too contrasty / shadowy? Then drag out a sheet of birch plywood as a fill in reflector. Better yet - white melamine.

#3 - Never shoot under fluorescent shop lights unless you camera has automatic white balance.

The rest are not as important, but are really handy if you have a semi-decent camera.

The camera shakes when you press the shutter button, so when on a tripod or steady rest table, use the timer setting to delay the shutter release. You think its only for self portraits so you have time to get in the shot? NOT.

Always shoot with the F stopped pretty far down like F 8, or 16. If your camera has "Aperture Priority" - dial it to a big number.

Use creative backdrops if you don't have time to use a pro backdrop, which is a PITA. Go to a freshly blacktopped parking lot and pour several buckets full of water out on the asphalt. Then set your pc in the middle and shoot under direct sunlight.

I use a sheet of white melamine for my mirrors. Black Velvet is nice. Dark hunter green fabric is a great color contrast to red and brown wood tones - makes the color really pop.

First shot below is just in sunlight. The other shot is from a couple halogen shop lights.

VectoriousDetailBlazy.jpgQuiltedHallmirror-lorez95%.JPG
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.

Blog Entries
    My setup was pretty cheap to create, but the results have made me quite happy (of course, I shoot relatively small items compared to furniture). Lighting was the biggest change... once I found some decent 100W daylight fluorescents and set the camera to the correct temperature, the images come back very natural in color.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Thanks for the tips John! Much appreciated.

I'm going to "stick" this thread for now as it's useful information and relevant to this forum which is targeted at documenting finished projects and builds, rather than questions.

Jim
    Forum Moderator

Cool move, Jim. Here is one of my tricks to get sunlight beams directly into my shop.

I made a forklift attachment to mount a large mirror, and drive the forklift out into the sun, then tilt the mirror, steer and move the mast to direct sunlight right where I want it. Gotta shoot pics quick while the sun moves (or the earth, for those that are literal).

Mostly for the purpose of contrast, as the sunbeams go into my dark shop, creating insane contrast.

photo-Mirror-Forklift.jpg

And the resulting shot:

BlazyJohn012.JPG
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.

Interesting work and shot !

I think it would be more successful if you made the background white, just saying

Cheers, Don
    Don Kondra – Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photographer

If you want to go to the next level and spend less than $100, here are some tips:
    1. Go to a camera shop and buy a roll of 18% gray backdrop paper. This does two things. It removes distracting backgrounds found in all shops. And it works well with the next tip.
    2. Buy Photoshop Elements, available at camera shops, Amazon, and other internet sources. Use Layers>New Adjustment Layer>Levels to set the gray point on the 18% backdrop paper. It is the middle eyedropper shown in the lower right hand corner of your computer screen. This will fix 99% of color problems.

Happy shooting!

I love Photoshop. My projects all come out flawless

Just to add to an old thread, back in my car advertising days, everything that was to be shot outside was at dawn and dusk. The perfect light for pro product photographers. About a 30 or so minute window each. Made for long days.

Great tips!