Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Old Molding Planes and the Rehab Enthusiast

Maybe build a box to store them in?
    opened.jpg
    Maybe add some felt...that I didn't have..
    IMAG0004.jpg
    Then you can keep it dust free, by closing the lid..
    front.jpg
    Hardest part was making the recessed holder for the Ohio Tool Co. 1.25" plane to sit in...

Blog Entries
    Maybe build a box to store them in?
    It would have to be a pretty big box:

Molding Planes on Shelf.jpg

For perspective the shelves are ~24" wide.

That is just the most used ones. There are a couple of boxes of woodies to be sorted and worked on.

Then there are the metal bodied 'molding' planes.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 11-27-2016 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Then there are the metal...
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries

Wedge Making

My Marples rabbet/rebate plane's wedge was not only broken, on closer inspection it isn't even proper for the plane. The plane like many rabbet planes has a skewed blade. The wedge in this plane wasn't properly skewed for the job and it didn't fit too well in the wedge mortise:

a Old Wedge Missfit.jpg

A piece of scrap maple from a salvaged kitchen counter was chosen:

b Selecting the Wood.jpg

The piece was cut a bit long and then it was ripped on my bandsaw. The saw marks and other imperfections were planed away.

Normally any angles are taken from the old wedge, but since the old wedge wasn't proper the angle to be transfered was taken from the wedge mortise:

bb Transfering Mortise Angle.jpg

A wheel gauge was used to transfer markings to the sides. Then a plane was tilted on the piece and occasionally checked to see how it was doing:

bbb Checking the Angle.jpg

After this the old wedge was used to lay out the slope of the wedge since it seemed to match the angles of the mortise. A circle template was used to layout the top, since round is one of my preferred shapes. Care should be taken to make sure everything is oriented correctly or this could happen:

cc Oops! Mistake.jpg

That is just one good reason to make a wedge longer than needed. A little more work with the plane corrected the situation:

d That's Better.jpg

Next was smoothing the slope of the wedge:

dd Small Plane at Work.jpg

A small plane comes in handy in such work. One could also use a chisel, with care, or a spoke shave for this part of the work. The saw marks on the round head and the cutout below the head were cleaned up with a chisel.

At this point it was checked for final fit before marking and cutting the toe:

e Check Fit.jpg

A pencil was used to mark where the wedge should reach on the blade.

Since there is an eight image per post limit this will be continued in my next post.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 11-27-2016 at 7:58 PM. Reason: wording
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Blog Entries

Wedge Making part 2

The toe of the wedge not only holds the blade to the bed, it has some properties of a chip breaker or more accurately a chip diverter. A gouge was used to create a guide for the shavings:

f Shaping the Wedge End.jpg

When this was shaped pretty much to my liking the toe was trimmed. Care should be taken to not break the thin wood here. The toe needs to work with a fine beveled edge. If there is a flat at the toe, it could cause shavings to jam and make accordions that get stuck in the escapement. There shouldn't be anything on which a shaving might get stuck.

g Pointing the Toe.jpg

Again for the umpteenth time the fit is checked:

h Test Fit Looks Good.jpg

Looks good for now. This plane's sole was in pretty bad shape. A few swipes with a smoothing plane removed the scratches and random streaks of paint:

k ReSoling.jpg

The plane is now useable. It does need a bit more work on the blade and sole. Specifically the sole's corner is worn a bit. This makes it almost impossible to start the plane in a scribed line. That will be taken care of at a later date.

Sorry for the next picture being out of focus. I usually check before turning off the camera:

z Focus!.jpg

I made the wedge to eject the shaving out of the larger side of the escapement. Afterwards I realized most of my molding planes eject the shaving out on to the bench instead of the floor. For this plane it isn't going to bother me. Easy enough to change if a reason presents itself.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 11-27-2016 at 8:17 PM. Reason: wording

Blog Entries

A Thought on Wedge Making

One thought is to get the wedge to fit as wanted before cutting the top. This would have allowed for it to be placed a touch lower.

Not a biggie, just a thought...

jtk

Excellent work Jim.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Stewie

jtk

Excellent thread.....Thanks Jim
    Jerry

Blog Entries
    Glad you like it Jerry and you are welcome.

jtk

Blog Entries
    Just saw an excerpt from a new Lost Arts Press book, The Woodworker: The Charles H. Hayward Years: Volume I. The piece is "How to Sharpen Moulding Plane Cutters."

https://blog.lostartpress.com/2017/0...plane-cutters/

Good information for those interested.

jtk

Thank you Jim. This is a great tutorial! Appreciate you taking the time to post this!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    This was posted by Kees Heiden in another thread about a moving fillester plane. It is good information about the wear angle and its relevance to a smooth working plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Kees Heiden View Post
    There was an interesting blog post about clogging mouths in side escapement planes lately:
    http://musingsfrombigpink.blogspot.n...-and-wear.html
    Thanks Kees,

jtk

Jim, I was very interested in your post when it came out originally, but didn't realize at first that it was the same post when I first saw it this time, so started reading it again, and again with great interest. The updates are great. Very informative.

Great Post.

Thanks!

Stew

Jim, thank you so much for this thread.
    Early on in this thread, you said most of these planes were bedded for soft wood use. Would it be possible to relieve some of this problem by putting a microbevel on the iron?
    Thanks,
    Rollie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollie Kelly View Post
    Jim, thank you so much for this thread.
    Early on in this thread, you said most of these planes were bedded for soft wood use. Would it be possible to relieve some of this problem by putting a microbevel on the iron?
    Thanks,
    Rollie
    Stew, Rollie and everyone else, you are welcome, glad you are enjoying this thread.

I think it was actually someone else who mentioned the soft wood. Most molding plane blades are bedded at 50º.

A micro bevel would be a nightmare on a molding plane. In the case of a simple bead the micro back bevel would be on a radius. On a complex shape it would have to change with the changes in the shape.

An important aspect of using molding planes is the selection of the material to be worked. The less challenging the work piece the better chances the finished molding will flawless.

jtk