Thread: Platter turning

Platter turning

Sometimes a blank for a platter is too thin to mount with either the woodworm screw or a face plate, and sometimes a glue block is kinda a pain. In the case of my platter here, the wood piece was very roughly cut (I swear, the guy I got it from must have cut it with a butter knife to get it so rough...), so it would have taken some work to get a glue block securely on there anyway.

So I used a different way of mounting that turned out to be super easy, very secure, and needed no extra equipment. I know I didn't invent this, but in case it helps anyone, I shot a video for youtube. It has been a very long time since I last uploaded to youtube, I'm surprised I remembered how!

It's not letting me upload images because I guess the ones I have are too large, but there are plenty of images in the video. Comments welcome.

Oh yeah, and this is one of the first projects I turn with my new Doug Thompson bowl gouge. I swear, worth every penny.

https://youtu.be/EptOp-G0594

Looks like a fine way to work. I do a similar technique using a 2-1/8" forstner about 1/4" deep, then do the rest as you do. The 2-1/8" matches my chuck in expansion mode.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I've done similar many times. The chuck as a jam chuck works fine, I usually go ahead and shape the outward face as the back and cut a recess, or face it off for a glue block. I use Capt Eddie's trick with a hollowed out glue block that does not contact in the center. Easy to part off.

Also remove the point so that the live center does not dig in as much.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I use a similar method but use a 3" glueblock with 80 grit paper glued to it in the chuck. Leaves no marks in the wood and never slips--the sand paper gives a good grip on the piece. Just finished a fairly heavy mesqite lid with this method. Used it many times with no problems.

Robert Baccus, that is a good idea. Thanks. I'll try it.

Robert, that is a fantastic idea. Even less chance of slipping. Thanks for this!

Like the video. Well done. Keep them coming.

That's a good, secure method of holding, even for thick things. Nice video.

Another way to hold even thinner things (besides a glue block) is double-sided tape. The good stuff will hold even a large, heavy chunk of wood. I have a friend who used the tape a lot but I don't particularly like it. I think the double chuck method is easier and more flexible.

Just for fun, when I leave the recess in the bottom I sometimes do a little extra turning to distract the eye from the recess and add a bit of interest. (Held by expansion in this case)

bottom_IMG_4687.jpg

And I learned this multi-axis technique of disguising the method of holding from Frank Penta. The little rounded tenon in the center is all that was needed to support this large platter by compression with a chuck. BTW, Frank is a wonderfully enthusiastic woodturner! He's supposed to be at the TN Association of Woodturners symposium in 2017 if anyone is interested.

platter_PC012780_e_comp_small.jpg

JKJ

Not to take away from your excellent video, Steve, but I'm sure that you know that you don't need to have the screw all the way into the platter blank. I do platters frequently from 6/4 off cuts from a friend's shop, so there is no depth to lose. Putting a spacer donut over the screw means that it only extends into the wood by about 1/4". That's plenty to hold even quite large blanks while I shape the outside and turn the recess. Your friction chuck practice is a very good one. The "shallow screw" option is a good alternative, too, I think.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Hmmmm....good reading and good thread.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.