Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3rd Floor Shop

3rd Floor Shop

Hi All,

Currently I work out of my garage and spend more time setting up and breaking things down with the seasons (for car parking) than woodworking...thus I am looking at building my first workshop. So I have a space, as seen in the picture, that is approx 30'x40' with 14' ceilings, tons of natural light from six 6' wide by 9' high windows and some really cool wood trim all around. The problem is that it's on the 3rd floor. I'm thinking my best bet would be to install a lift of some sort to bring up materials and equipment (and to remove an old piano dated 1893). Stair case is decent, but would be a real pain to move sheets and equipment.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_1404.jpgIMG_1407.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Do you have room outside to build a lift and can you modify the building to make a larger opening/door in the wall to access the lift outside?
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Yes. I even have a 42" door to nowhere on the backside of the building that I assume was for the purpose of deliveries. The bottom of the door is approx 30' from ground level.

Does anyone have any ideas on lift construction for such an endeavor? Cheaper the better of course, but since I'm right in town I need it to look decent and safe.
    Last edited by Jeff Chaisson; 03-22-2016 at 11:57 AM.

I've seen photos of old buildings (way pre-elevators) with haylofts or even shops in the upper floors. They have a door to nowhere like you have, and a beam sticking out above the doors. A block and tackle hangs from the beam, and stuff goes up and down on the end of a rope.

Actually, the beam doesn't have to be a permanent part of the building. It could roll or swing through the door to get outside.

This approach would be a zillion times less expensive than a real elevator, and wouldn't require permits.

Here's a pic of an old street in Holland. Notice the beams sticking out of the tops of the buildings. That's where the pulley hangs to lift stuff up the front of the building.

loftaccess.jpg

There are pulleys with ratchets, so when you're pulling an object up, it can't go accidentally dropping down. And there are electric winches, so you don't have to pull the Unisaw up with just your muscles. And there are block and tackles, which act kinda like gearboxes; you don't have to exert as much force to lift something.
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 03-22-2016 at 1:10 PM.

Very cool space!

A picture or two of the door and the outside of it would be helpful. I'm guessing some kind of hayloft type hoist would be best, if you can rig it up.

Hoist is a good search term. Here's a pic of a hoist for an upper-story wood shop. The page has lots of construction details. http://tomstudwell.com/wordpress/ive...-the-workshop/

That's really beautiful space. And yes, a lift of some sort is going to be necessary to avoid killing yourself...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

No help on the hoist, but that is an awesome workspace! The reason for your post, materials in and projects out, would be the only downside I can see.

if you have everything ready to go and take a window out you could probably get away with a sign crane for a day for under a 1000 if you shop around. You will still be left with the issue of running materials up and down the stairs

Blog Entries
    I love that space. I have seen many shops on upper floors. A lift is a must, but another option is a forklift- portable and no installation fee. You can move things up and down and also push them forward into the shop. Might end up cheaper too.

I would put a extendable boom in so you can push it out the door when you need it and pull it in so the door closes.

A friend of mine built a large elevator (about 6' square) from an old fork lift. He had rails welded to guide the elevator, mounted the fork lift frame to a concrete slab, and installed an electric pump to drive the hydraulics. He bought two old non-working fork lifts for scrap prices and made one good one.

I have no idea if such a thing would reach to the third floor but I've seen some that would go pretty high.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Hoist is a good search term. Here's a pic of a hoist for an upper-story wood shop. The page has lots of construction details. http://tomstudwell.com/wordpress/ive...-the-workshop/
    Thats quite the rig, I like it but I'm looking at about a 30' lift. Certainly in the right direction, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Chaisson View Post
    Thats quite the rig, I like it but I'm looking at about a 30' lift. Certainly in the right direction, thanks!
    It seems to me that the nice thing about the rope-and-pulley approach is that you can easily make it taller: you just use a longer rope.

I have a second floor shop with a loft door at one end. I designed a stow-away I-Beam hoist that stows totally inside, vertically, against the wall when not in use. The mounts attach to the door header and the ridge beam (10' ceiling). I used it to hoist all my machines, including a very heavy, 21" Delta RC-51 planer, and still use it to lift materials (8/4 X 10' hardwood, 4' X 8' sheets of ply, MDF, etc.), and lower completed projects. I used a double line and pulley (good for 1350 lbs.) for the really heavy stuff. I removed the pendant switch and hard-wired the HF hoist so I can control it from ground and shop-level switches. Hoist and I-beam trolley came from Ebay.

Last edited by Alan Schaffter; 03-22-2016 at 11:24 PM.