Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3rd Floor Shop

Yeeha! That's what I'm talking about!

Blog Entries
    Another consideration: does the floor have enough capacity for your heavier machines? 14' ceilings are awesome.
    NOW you tell me...

Sweet setup Alan. I think this would work for Jeff too.

Red
    RED

"And yes, a lift of some sort is going to be necessary to avoid killing yourself..."

Alan Schafter's hoist is a very well thought out solution. The last part of Jim's comment should not be ignored, though. Lifting heavy objects into the air requires attention to the safety of the hoist operator and anyone who might stray into the death zone.

Sounds really cool, wish I could see the pictures. Mine would have to lift about 30 ft, might be a little sketchy the first few times getting my equipment up there....projects and material should be fine. I may just end up renting a scissor lift for the day for the big stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Chaisson View Post
    Sounds really cool, wish I could see the pictures. Mine would have to lift about 30 ft, might be a little sketchy the first few times getting my equipment up there....projects and material should be fine. I may just end up renting a scissor lift for the day for the big stuff
    It sure does make me nervous to be thinking about using a fork lift or a scissor lift to lift big machines 30' in the air while I'm sitting in the driver's seat directly below said big machines. The rope-and-pulley (okay, strong rope and pulley) approach allows you to be standing to the side, or even up in the loft.

What a cool work space.. I would love that .. hope it works out ..

8. I know this thread is a year old, but I came across it in a search and I'm curious what the end result was/is.

A thought I had was that if you had a beam crane, you could cantilever the beams out the doors by 5-8 feet and run the crane out of the building, pick up your material, then drive the crane back inside.

Doors to nowhere, reminds me of the Winchester house. I would say a beam under the ridge board and allow it to stick out the end. maybe extend the eave peak to cover the beam from rain.

Last year they found a new room in the Winchester house. It was closed off in 1922 or earlier. The house now has 161 rooms. It did lose it's top story around 1906 in a quake so those rooms are long gone.

Famous stairway to nowhere.
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/231161393345824731/
    She is credited with inventing the covered driveway entrance to the front door so she was not completely crazy?

Bill D.

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-hay...-49529632.html
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 04-16-2017 at 7:10 PM.

Alan, that is genius! And an electric hoist is really what Jeff needs.

Jeff, what will the floor hold and what trouble will the noisy machines in the attic stir up.

Can you attach something like that to the wall or ceiling without breaking the building? May need an engineer to look it all over.

Awesome space.