Thread: I'm dying to build a dinosaur

Blog Entries

I'm dying to build a dinosaur

image.jpg

Take the parts, project them on the wall, trace them out to large scale, cut out of 3/4" ply, and assemble. For the strongback and legs I would sandwich 3 layers of ply for strength. I figured it out and you could build one 13.5 feet long and 7' tall with proper scaling. Would that be cool or what?

I thought about building one to donate to the new children's museum, except for the possible liability. Maybe I will just build the head, mount it to my Jeep, and drive around threatening to ram people.

Google CNC dinosaur. There are dozens of plans to choose from. I'm going to do one soon on my CNC.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    I googled similar things and saw the CNC ones, but the only CNC I have access to is rather small. If I were to build one, I'd follow the "go big, or go home" philosophy. This all came about as I was helping the Children's Museum install some exhibits, one of which is a life-sized T-Rex head. I remembered the wood dinosaur puzzles and thought, "hmmmmmm...." When I say, "hmmmmmm..." I am usually about to do something crazy.

I laser cut a desk size Woolly Mammoth from quarter inch white acrylic several years ago and a full scale Saber Tooth Tiger from 3/4" thick PVC on my CNC Router for a customer. The PVC worked well, using a router bit to round over the bones made them look almost real.

I can't find any pictures of either project but my wife Jackie still has the Woolly Mammoth.

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Keith. I was going to use a roundover bit as well- great minds think alike. As for the PVC- that would be nice since it's white all the way through. The PVC I have seen (Home Depot) is very flexy. I was concerned since this one stands on the legs with the tail also on the ground to add support. I actually bought this model to explore the design and determine if it was feasible to build one that kids can actually climb on. Sadly, liability concerns will probably keep me from building one that kids can climb on, but I am very seriously considering building one for the Children's Museum to display. I have decided to get just one 4x8 sheet and build a few parts just to test the rigidity.

The shop where I volunteer teaching on Saturdays just got a CNC/laser (has a carriage that accepts both), but it's rather small. I may use it to do all the smaller parts and save myself a lot of jigsawing.

I'm for sure going to experiment, but if I can't get the local lumber company to donate materials then this will be a very long, drawn-out project, buying one sheet of 4x8 each week and doing it a bit at a time.

Please anyone feel free to comment on alternate ideas for materials or thoughts on whether or not 3 layers of 3/4" ply is good enough for the strongback. Although I am going to say kids shouldn't climb on it, I actually kind of want to make it to where they could, because we all know one is going to get away from mom and dad and head straight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    ..Please anyone feel free to comment on alternate ideas for materials or thoughts on whether or not 3 layers of 3/4" ply is good enough for the strongback. Although I am going to say kids shouldn't climb on it, I actually kind of want to make it to where they could, because we all know one is going to get away from mom and dad and head straight for it...
    The ankles look like a weak point to me. They're going to have the weight of several sheets of plywood on them, plus the weight of the rogue kid. Maybe the legs should be two thicknesses of plywood. And I can't really see the pelvis or the shoulders, but maybe they should be double-thickness too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    The ankles look like a weak point to me. They're going to have the weight of several sheets of plywood on them, plus the weight of the rogue kid. Maybe the legs should be two thicknesses of plywood. And I can't really see the pelvis or the shoulders, but maybe they should be double-thickness too.
    Actually legs, strongback, and pelvis (all load bearing pieces) would be 3 layers. The rest single. Gussets would be added at joints like where the back is made from two pieces- tail and neck.

I will also strengthen the neck by extending the "bone" that forms the bottom of the belly and have it meet the neck. That neck is holding a good bit of weight.
    Last edited by Malcolm Schweizer; 03-24-2016 at 1:56 PM.

Blog Entries
    image.jpg

Extend this his piece up to join the neck and provide support for the neck.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    If I were to build one, I'd follow the "go big, or go home" philosophy.
    I’ve been considering doing one out of steel plate with my CNC plasma cutter…

Blog Entries
    Last night I was informed that a donor has offered to provide marine grade plywood for the project if I would build it. The museum wants to put it on their covered balcony, hence the marine grade ply. It will not get direct rain but my get wet now and then. I said give me a month to finish other projects that I have since started and I will do it. I now have access to a CNC plasma cutter but I think I will stick to wood.

Look forward to seeing some photos when you've got the beastie done!

Just saw this thread, so seems too late, but... Why not SMC 'crowd fund'? Volunteers get sent a pattern of 'their' part, make one part (or eleventeen) and then send it to you? Just have to spec material, and finish.

Anybody who wants to hand-deliver can stay at your place! ...Just for a day or so? Right? Life is a beach!