Thread: End grain cutting board 3.5" thick

End grain cutting board 3.5" thick

Here is another one I made a little while ago, it is made form qtr sawn oak, walnut, rock maple.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is handsome. Should be around for many years. What type of glue? How did you flatten it after glue up

Quote Originally Posted by kevin nee View Post
    What type of glue? How did you flatten it after glue up
    HI Kevin,
    Thanks for the compliment. I used Titebond III glue - which is food safe and really holds well. I used a flattening bit in a router with rails to flatten the top and bottom. this went pretty good then I sanded with an orbital sander. After all was smooth I applied Boos cutting board oil.

end grain oak is not the best things for cutting boards . to porous. Open grain woods are not really advisable for food handling operations
    ron

I've heard both ways. Which is best for cutting boards? I'm thinking of red oak.

That is a nice looking cutting board. It should survive many years of hard use.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by ron david View Post
    end grain oak is not the best things for cutting boards . to porous. Open grain woods are not really advisable for food handling operations
    ron
    UC Davis did some work on that. Here is a website showing their results with citations to the published papers. The bottom line is that wood, regardless of the species, was found to have strong antimicrobial properties. Surfaces spiked with bacteria became free of viable microbes within 15 minutes. Plastic, on the other hand, carried viable bacteria even after a hand washing. Only a cycle in the dishwasher was able to remove the viable bacteria from the plastic board.

Food for thought!

http://faculty.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/fa...ttingboard.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Williamson View Post
    UC Davis did some work on that. Here is a website showing their results with citations to the published papers. The bottom line is that wood, regardless of the species, was found to have strong antimicrobial properties. Surfaces spiked with bacteria became free of viable microbes within 15 minutes. Plastic, on the other hand, carried viable bacteria even after a hand washing. Only a cycle in the dishwasher was able to remove the viable bacteria from the plastic board.

Food for thought!

http://faculty.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/fa...ttingboard.htm
    I think that you missed my point. I do not have a problem with wooden cutting boards. have never had a plastic one. what I am concerned about is the porous open end grain of oak. that you can't wash out. particles will rot in there. what do those educated fellows say about that?
    ron

+1 White oak would be a much better choice

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Palmer View Post
    I've heard both ways. Which is best for cutting boards? I'm thinking of red oak.
    Red Oak is like a bunch of soda straws. If oak is on the menu, white oak would be preferred for any "wet work" just as it's preferred for outdoor projects.

------
    Gregory, that's a beautiful cutting board!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I used Ash for a cutting board. Loaded it up with mineral oil, soaked all the way through. We don't use it for cutting up chicken or meat however. More of a dry goods cutting board

Thats just gorgeous , I love it and I know it was a lot of hard work. Be proud
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander