Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do you still have a land line phone?

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    I need the landline to call my cellphone so I can find it.
    Pam and I call each other's when we need to find one. We've been without a landline for a few years now. We still have a line coming in for the DSL, but they did run conduit down our road for Fiber Optic just last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    The power thing is one of the phone companies antiquated fallacies. Most cell phone towers have backup generators. At our last house the terminal that fed our house with a landline had no backup power. If the lights blinked, calls were dropped. Probably the same phone company you have.
    Well, maybe things have gotten better in the last couple years. Hope so. But I got stuck on a trip where horrendous weather rolled in. The cell phones were down for 3 days. The hotel landlines worked throughout.

Blog Entries
    Yes. The only reason we still have a land line is that it costs me zero as it is bundled with my cable. Not any cheaper if I don't elect to have the phone. Anyone calling the landline gets a message "If you need to speak with Ole or Anne, call their cell phone, otherwise leave a message and we will notified by email with a transcription of your message". Only folks I want to have our mobile numbers get it. I got tired of the majority of our landline calls being 800 numbers wanting to take advantage of me. Do-not-call-list fails. I dumped 5 wireless phones and just kept one hardwired phone in the shop with the ringer turned off. Best of both worlds.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 03-27-2016 at 7:05 PM.
    NOW you tell me...

Yes, I find it secure and reliable.

Mac

Yes, but I'm self employed so it serves as my receptionist. Have fax machine hooked up to it also. Only have basic service, plus wife added called ID about two years ago. Amazingly, we call our selves from our own number a couple times a month. Caller ID shows call originating from OUR number.

Make sure you get good cell reception before deciding on no LL.
    We got rid of ours several years ago. All it was good for was the Politicos and scammers to call.
    I cut the wire and stapled it to the pole in front.
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 03-27-2016 at 9:22 PM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Fries View Post
    We keep one because if the power goes out, the land line will always be there. We keep an older phone that does not need batteries as well.
    This has been my excuse too. It is also convenient for faxing, although I expect the Ooma could do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Willhoit View Post
    It is also convenient for faxing,
    Who faxes anymore. Email PDF files.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    Who faxes anymore. Email PDF files.
    There are a lot of people that fax I still do when it comes to signing a form and Drs have to fax Scripts

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    There are a lot of people that fax I still do when it comes to signing a form and Drs have to fax Scripts

Most places I deal with accept pdf for signed documents and yes my Dr faxes Scripts but direct to the drug store not to me.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Yea, I forgot to mention earlier that our alarm system also uses the "land line". So since it's really not costing us anything in the bundle and wireless/cellular service in our home is difficult to support for the alram (I have a microcell for our portable devices), the "land line" stays for now.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Even doctors are getting away from faxing prescriptions - a least around here. They have an Internet (electronic) system that allows them to send prescriptions to providers. But I think prescriptions for controlled substances have to be on paper (original, no copies or faxes) and the doc has a numbered prescription pad with carbon copies so that each prescription is logged. At least that's the way it was done in the past (maybe 5 to 10 years ago). I would hope that even prescriptions for controlled substances could be handled electronically by now.

Mike

[Fax is really OLD technology. The image received is often poor and subject to misinterpretation - especially when combined with poor handwriting, which could be serious for medicine. The electronic technology requires the doctor (or nurse, who usually actually does the sending) to choose the medicine from a list, and the software checks against the patient's existing medications to warn of interactions.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 03-28-2016 at 11:35 AM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Pam and I call each other's when we need to find one. We've been without a landline for a few years now. We still have a line coming in for the DSL, but they did run conduit down our road for Fiber Optic just last week.

Go that way, it is infinitely better.

The cell phone does everything a land line does except allow me to make phone calls when I'm at home. I'd have to get (probably several) micro-cell extenders to enable cell service on our property and we'd have no phone service at all when the power goes out unless I made a much bigger investment in backup power for the network.

Given the pricing schemes dropping phone service from our FIOS package would probably end up costing us more than our current TV/phone/internet package.

If they ever build a cell tower that gives us signal I might consider going cell only, unless I had to pay more to do so.

Yes, the wife needs it to fax real estate documents.