Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Laguna cyclone 1.5 HP dust collector - 110V

Have you tried it without the remote?

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    Is it tripping when you first start the DC, or is it tripping after it has been running for a while?.
    Mark,
    Not at start up, I will be working along and turn on 2-3 times no problem, then turn on again with the remote and nothing. I have to reset the breaker then it tends to run 3-4 cycles before tripping again. Now tonight I ran it several times and it worked OK. I am suspecting the possibility it may be in the remote receiver?

Quote Originally Posted by Augusto Orosco View Post
    Have you tried it without the remote?
    I have not tried it with out the remote, but I am suspicious of the remote at this point. Tonight I ran several cycles, however when initially turning on the remote control I noticed the breaker was tripped.
    Have you heard of problems with the wood river DC remotes before?
    Last edited by Gregory Carles; 04-04-2016 at 9:23 PM.

I haven't looked into that receiver, but if it's close to the amps drawn by your cyclone, things might go wrong, I suspect. I know little about electricity, I am just wondering outloud others more knowledgeable might have better insight into it.
    Last edited by Augusto Orosco; 04-04-2016 at 9:50 PM. Reason: Typo

I would be surprised if the remote were causing the breaker to trip.

How often are you cycling that DC? If you're starting it more than once every five minutes or so that could be a problem. The time constant of the thermal section of a breaker is typically several minutes. The inertial load of a big steel impeller takes a lot of starting current and the breaker needs some time to cool down between starts. So does the motor and the start capacitor.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Carles View Post
    Mark,
    Not at start up, I will be working along and turn on 2-3 times no problem, then turn on again with the remote and nothing. I have to reset the breaker then it tends to run 3-4 cycles before tripping again. Now tonight I ran it several times and it worked OK. I am suspecting the possibility it may be in the remote receiver?
    Sorry I wasn't clear when I said 'first start the DC'. I meant to ask 'does it always trip when you start the DC', or 'does it trip after the DC is already running for a few minutes'.
    Mark McFarlane

HI Greg,
    I looked at Oneida also, but the Laguna went on sale at woodcraft and I really like the compact size and the idea of 1200 CFM with a cyclone. It is nice that it is mobile because I only plan on running one hose off the port and pushing it around to the different machinery. But then again my shop is not that big so mobility is a must.

I bought the Oneida on sale but of course the Laguna went on sale right afterwards. Had it been on the sale you mentioned at the time I would have prob gone with the 2hp Laguna and saved some coin but anyway such is life. I'm only setting up in 1/2 of my garage but am piping the Oneida in with drops. Won't be as impressive as a large shop but I won't have to move stuff around too much this way.

Quote Originally Posted by David L Morse View Post

How often are you cycling that DC? If you're starting it more than once every five minutes or so that could be a problem. The time constant of the thermal section of a breaker is typically several minutes. The inertial load of a big steel impeller takes a lot of starting current and the breaker needs some time to cool down between starts. So does the motor and the start capacitor.

Good point. My Oneida had a comment that said not to cycle it more than 4 or 5 times in an hour. Was either on a sticker on motor or in manual.

I'd try a new breaker.

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    Sorry I wasn't clear when I said 'first start the DC'. I meant to ask 'does it always trip when you start the DC', or 'does it trip after the DC is already running for a few minutes'.
    It only trips when I go to start it never while it is running. once it is running it has never stopped by means of a breaker trip.

Is it on its own circuit or are there other things running on the same circuit?

It only trips when I go to start it never while it is running. once it is running it has never stopped by means of a breaker trip.
    Hi George,

Electric motors can take a larger than normal (surge) current to get started. Laguna should be able to tell you what the expected current draw is upon startup for the DC, then you can compare that to your breaker. Also, if you have a clamp type AMP meter, you can measure the amp drawn and duration upon startup. If Laguna's number and the measured numbers are below the threshold of your circuit breaker, the breaker is at fault.

If the current draw is higher than what Laguna said it should be, you have a problem with the DC (or they gave you bad data). If Laguna says you need more than what your circuit is providing, you likely need to wire in a new circuit with lower gauge (thicker) wire and a higher amperage breaker.

Someone else also mentioned to check if there is any other devices on the circuit. It is possible that another operating device could consume enough current that when it is running your startup DC current will trip the breaker, and when the other device is off, everything works OK.

If Laguna can't give you the expected startup amperage, I think most motors have a rating (on the specs plate) that, along with some algebra, can tell you what the startup current for the motor will be, but I'm not sure how much effect, if any, the DC impeller will have on startup current.

That's about the limit of my knowledge. If I made a logic mistake here I'm sure someone will chime in, but hopefully this will give you some guidance on diagnosing the root problem.
    Last edited by mark mcfarlane; 04-06-2016 at 2:16 PM.
    Mark McFarlane

Quote Originally Posted by David L Morse View Post

How often are you cycling that DC? If you're starting it more than once every five minutes or so that could be a problem.
    Hi David,
    I was cycling it 3-4 times in probably about 30 minutes. The amps on the motor say 13 and I have a 20 amp dedicated circuit.
    This is really got me stumped. Last night I ran it several cycles and it did not have any problems at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hollingsworth View Post
    I'd try a new breaker.
    Last night ran like a charm. can't figure out if it fixed itself or what.

Ok here is an update on the breaker trip issue I was experiencing. It has stopped throwing the breaker. Don't know why but I have been using it and have not had the breaker trip. Seems to be working just fine now. Maybe a break in issue - not sure.