Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Source for strop leather

I just went to value village/goodwill and bought an old leather belt for $10. Glued it to a piece of maple scrap. Works well in conjunction with my piece of TFWW horse butt strop.
    Paul

Tools for Working Wood. Got it years ago and it has broken in like a fine barber strop (though glued to a piec of hardwood). One of the most used tools in my shop.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

On the Sheridan leather... Hard-rolled, or soft-rolled? What's the difference?

Mike

Mike

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Stockdale View Post

Mike
    Hard rolled is pressed in rollers while wet, and the resulting leather will be stiff like cardboard. It would work for a glued to a base strop, but not as well for a barber's strop.

I picked mine up in woodcraft 4 or 5 years ago. Works fine. http://www.woodcraft.com/product/129...ip-makers.aspx

Go to any farm store that sells saddles and they will have good selection of leather .

My current one is an offcut from tandy. I happened upon a garage sale where a guy was selling tons of leather he wasn't using and picked up a piece at least a yard square for $10. Two new strops are coming out of it, as well as whatever else I can think of.