Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mark Singer passed away

I came close to meeting him in person a few times but we could never quite connect. We did chat many times over PM and emails. He has been MIA for several years here. I hope he is truly at peace now. My wife and I had a friend from back in grad school days that very suddenly passed away from pancreatic cancer. Such a cancer is particularly virulent.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

The fact that Mark lasted a year after being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer is testament to the fact they must have caught it early and there may be improved methods of treatment. When I was still working, I saw a lot of people being scanned for pancreatic cancer and often they only lasted a couple months. I asked one of the radiologists why it was so often a short term before death. He said "Its a somewhat silent killer. By the time you have any symptoms, it's already spreading to other organs." Nasty stuff and it's seen frequently.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    What sad news. I thought he had just wandered off or gotten busy as he has at times in the past. A great talent. R.I.P. Mark.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I'm truly sad to learn about this. I visited with Mark more than once and enjoyed his hospitality including his family. I actually spoke with him early last year when in the area and although he wasn't available to eat with my colleague and I at the time, we did chat for a few minutes. After reading the obituary, I'm sure his declining to get together then was because of his battle...something he didn't mention. RIP Mr. Singer. An incredibly talented and amazing man. He will be missed.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I am really sorry to hear this. I always enjoyed reading his post. RIP Mark.
    Lori K

Very sorry to hear about this. Mark was a talented man, and will be missed.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Terrible news!!!!!
    I always enjoyed his posts and he was a very good moderator as well. RIP Mark and prayers out for his surviving family.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Sad to hear of Mark's passing. I will always remember him for his insights, and especially for responding to an inquiry about one of his furniture designs I had for him.

I'm sad. I feel like I knew him well. I never met him, but I felt a kinship with him through his work and his posts here.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

I'm truly saddened by Mark's passing. I never got a chance to meet him but I felt like I knew him through his posts. He had quite a sense of style that we would be lucky to emulate. I wish his family the best!

I was catching up on reading some threads and was stunned to come across an old thread where I saw "in memoriam below Mark's name. He was a gem and was always willing to help and also challenge a fellow woodworker. Sad news.
    Vortex! What Vortex?

I know this is an older thread but like Mark, I have not been on the forum for a long time. I find myself shocked at Marks passing. He was one the folks that inspired me to do better as a craftsman either by his many posts or having the opportunity to see his work. I have many photos of his work in a "Mark Singer" folder in my computer. His post of 2007 "Proportions based on physics...statics" was quickly printed and has been on my desk stand ever since. I have recreated his great little "gull-wing" boxes and came back here today to review the table tray he made as it is time for a few christmas presents. The trays will take on a whole different presence now that Mark has passed. I think all of us here are lucky he dropped by.

Cheers,

Kent