Thread: New here .... introduction

New here .... introduction

Hello everyone. Keith,I finally made it here .... LOL
    Although I'm new here on this forum, I've been making signs for years & can probably answer most questions about dimensional signs. I use about 25 sheets of Corafoam HDU every year, & I warranty my work, so I'm pretty much in tune with what you should & shouldn't do with HDU. I still use cedar, cypress & redwood as well.
    Some of you may recognize the last name from other forums ... "T.R" & me are the same guy.
    Here's a pic of some of my work. This one is in vertical grain Western Redcedar, sandblasted, & painted with Porter & MF Acrylic paints.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rodger MacMunn; 03-29-2016 at 8:09 AM. Reason: Omission

Welcome to The Creek Mac,

Those of you who haven't met Mac I can tell you he is a talented professional sign designer and fabricator. I have witnessed his work first hand several times at the Aspire Gathering at Jim McGrew's shop in Columbia South Carolina. Mac is well known in the sign industry for his attention to detail in every aspect of his work from design and machining to beautiful painting and gold leaf work. Even his business card is a work of art.

The last Aspire event I attended Mac was working on a period sign that was eye candy to say the least. I enjoyed watching him bring the sign to life over the three day event and gained a great deal of respect for his work and the fact that he is a very talented artist.

Thanks for joining our group of sign makers Mac, I know that you are a very busy man so your time here will be much appreciated.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 03-29-2016 at 10:02 AM.

Mac,

I hope you will be at the upcoming Aspire Gathering in May at Jim's Shop. I am planning to be there this year for the entire event.

Beautiful work, sir

Thanks Keith. Sorry, I won't be at Jim's. May is by far my busiest month of the year, so I can't go anywhere, & that's why I've missed the last 2 camps. From April 15th until July 15th, I generally don't get a day off at all.
    TR

Mac,

I'm sorry to hear that you can't make the Aspire Gathering but I understand, I have had some very busy Spring seasons in my shop as well and I never know what is just around the corner.

I will be sure to post pictures and share my experiences here so stay tuned.

Welcome TR, glad to see you here.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Welcome, and nice work! The sandblasted cedar signs are the ones I miss making the most since I closed up my sign shop of 16 years in 2009. I just passed one of my biggest ones the other day that's over 15 years old, holding up nicely even in our wet climate. Not nearly as colorful as yours! I used redwood until the late 90s, then it got hard to find clear heart.

gilman-village.jpg

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Thanks for the welcome, everyone. Joe Pelonio ... that's a nice sign. BTW, I had to look up where Sammamish is .... funny, I'll be driving from Sumas to Sault Ste Marie this week. I'll be going right close by you on I-90. I've never driven from Seattle to Spokane before .... beyond there, it's all "been there, seen that".

Quote Originally Posted by Rodger MacMunn View Post
    Thanks for the welcome, everyone. Joe Pelonio ... that's a nice sign. BTW, I had to look up where Sammamish is .... funny, I'll be driving from Sumas to Sault Ste Marie this week. I'll be going right close by you on I-90. I've never driven from Seattle to Spokane before .... beyond there, it's all "been there, seen that".
    I have done that trip a few times, once in a '63 Ranchero I sold after partial restoration. You picked a good week for it, 70 and clear today, same expected through the weekend.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Welcome TR!! for those that don't know Rodger get to know him you won't be sorry his talent, wisdom, and humor is beyond belief. he'll make you feel like family.