Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: "Best" Table Saw?

Yet many of the machines are identical?

They're not "identical" but many brands are assemblled in the same Asian factories with parts from the same suppliers. I believe there are measurable differences between the low end and the high end, say Grizzly vs Powermatic or Sawstop (setting aside the brakes). But the difference between Grizzly and a lot of the mid priced cabinet saws are harder to quantify, or justify the price differences.

I do suspect Jet for instance has a more stringent QC agreement with their Asian partners. Grizzly closes the gap with their no questions asked warranty period and exceptional customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ashton View Post
    It's something I've always noticed since I started 35 years ago. The most skilled woodworkers always had the most unremarkable shops.
    Thats because usually the most skilled woodworkers are usually barely surviving.

4. has been bookmark, this seems like a very interesting thread

Hi Jeff, I am curious how your adventure of finding a nice cabinet saw went. Were you able to narrow your choice down? I do understand the desire for safety which makes the Saw Stop a desirable thing. I believe the "brake cartridges" would need to be replaced if the Saw Stop action is activated. They seem to average around 69.00 online. I guess for me if I can afford a rather expensive saw I want one with least amount of things to wring. Being safe in the shop should never be an option, but I don't want to be wrapped in bubble wrap either. We have enough of that at work. In fact I can't believe I've made it to 60. I tend to agree with Brian A from the standpoint of view that things do become obsolete with no replacement available. One always hopes that parts for their saw or tool will always be available. This simply isn't always the case, at least not in my business. Wiith a non electric part, a good machine shop or even someone who makes castings can bail you out. I speak from the been there done that row. I have a friend who gave me a 1946 Walker Turner cabinet saw just to get it out of his garage. It wouldn't even run the motor was so packed with dirt & sawdust. I'm currently in the process of restoring it as time & money allow. With all that being said, the main thing is have fun at what you do, weigh all the pros and cons and decide what the best fit is for you and your needs. What I'm doing maybnot be everyone's cup of tea. For me I love restoring things back to their glory. Have fun whatever you decide to do or buy.

Jim W,

Jeff has 1 post at SMC and this is it. He started this thread on 3/29. He hasn't been back on the site since he posted this question. He must've forgotten about it, or got his table saw, or maybe stepped off the curb and was hit by a bus. Who knows. It is still an interesting thread!

Please start a new thread about your W/T table saw! I would love to see that beauty!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The real answer is that you buy the one that your significant other permits you to buy...
    Exactly ...... That's how I ended up with a SawStop instead of the Powermatic I was planning on ....