Thread: Brazilian Rosewood Question

Brazilian Rosewood Question

An old wood turner I know has a bunch of small Brazilian Rosewood spindle blanks that he acquired in the 80's and 90's. Is there any reason why I couldn't purchase them from him as far as it now being a cites wood? Forgive me if I'm not making myself clear.

AFAIK, it can be sold, but it cannot be exported.

Sorry but it's not clear to me what you are asking. Perhaps you could describe the dimensions of the spindle blanks and what you intend to make from them. Not sure what a "cites wood" is but that just my be me as I'm not a turner.

CITES refers to the Convention on International Trade of Endangered Species--and Brazilian Rosewood is one of those. Great acoustic guitar tonewood, but in very limited supply since around 1970. Beautiful wood, but the deforestation was predatory. Penalties are harsh for trade that is suspect, but if the wood in question is well documented one should be able to defend themselves.
    earl

Quote Originally Posted by thomas prusak View Post
    An old wood turner I know has a bunch of small Brazilian Rosewood spindle blanks that he acquired in the 80's and 90's. Is there any reason why I couldn't purchase them from him as far as it now being a cites wood? Forgive me if I'm not making myself clear.
    I would ask him to provide documentation as to where he purchased the wood. Note, also, that you cannot transport even completed items of Brazilian Rosewood across international borders.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

As others have mentioned it is an international border thing mainly. If you like the wood then I'd buy it. I bought a lot of this wood in the early nineties for guitar making. It is a treat to work and it smells great. Turns very nicely too!

Thanks everyone for the information. Big help.