Thread: cherry/walnut end table

cherry/walnut end table

I just finished this end table (still drying in my shop), that pairs with my recently completed cherry sideboard (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...t=#post2524629). I should have asked this before i made this, but what do people normally do with those lower shelves? I went in only about 3/8" into the leg, but i did put a dowel in diagonally to hold the shelf at each corner. I made my own drawer handle this time which i like. While i'm still thinking of swapping handles on the sideboard, i don't think i'll match it with something quite like this.

IMG_0269.jpg

They could go in same room ok, but I don't think I would describe it as making a pair with the sideboard. The low shelf,I think ,is more often seen in bedroom than dining room,so I don't think how they are used is applicable. In a dining room the shelf is a little too informal,and might even get stepped on. Since you are interested in designing what you make,look at some photos of dumb waiters; couple of those would be good companions for the sideboard. Just noticed that the term "dumb waitor" is now applied to lots of modern things. Traditionally they are small tables,often one for each diner,and rolled over to table with food and condiments. Purpose can be privacy from servants or simple convienience. Most have several shelves.
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 03-30-2016 at 11:02 PM.

i call the other one a sideboard because that's what it looks similar too, but i actually use it as an entertainment center. So this table is an end table for a couch.

I may be mistaken, but I thought that the question "what do people normally do with those lower shelves" referred to construction method, not use.

Even if I am wrong about the OP's intent, I would also be interested in how people typically attach a shelf of that sort.

....and those two identical hats you got for Christmas ....might be a pair of socks!!! Jay, You are probably right and certainly a gentle editor ; I missed that one completely and was clueless until you posted. Thanks

i was ambiguous in the question. I was interested in construction methods as Jay said. It looks like most tables like this have the shelf go a little further into the leg, but perhaps they also have some form of reinforcement. I may just have to keep a few items down there until the little one is too big to really consider climbing across there.

Quote Originally Posted by tim vadas View Post
    I should have asked this before i made this, but what do people normally do with those lower shelves?
    I don't know whats normal but I would have put stretchers between the legs on the narrow ends and then run stretchers between those lengthwise and placed the shelf on the long stretchers with an attachment that allowed for seasonal movement of the shelf.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody Colston View Post
    I don't know whats normal but I would have put stretchers between the legs on the narrow ends and then run stretchers between those lengthwise and placed the shelf on the long stretchers with an attachment that allowed for seasonal movement of the shelf.
    I'm a belt and suspenders guy myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Colston View Post
    I thought about doing that and that's probably safer, but I wanted to keep it a little less bulky on the bottom. I figured that lengthwise it would move the same as the rail at the top, and width wise it was too little to matter (it's an 11" width).

I use stretchers attached to legs with pocket screws, but use plywood for the shelf to avoid the movement issues.

I like the design on this piece.