Thread: Any opinions on a Craftsman 113.298720 table saw?

Blog Entries

Any opinions on a Craftsman 113.298720 table saw?

I am looking at a used Craftsman table saw, model 113.298720 for $175,
    does anyone have an opinion on this saw? On the price?
    thanks
    Dennis

Blog Entries
    That is an 80's era Emerson saw. The 1970's Emersons were pretty good as far as contractor/job site saws go but, I have no direct user experience on the newer ones. $175 seems OK but, certainly not a steal. When pricing used contractor saws you need to carry an immediate add-on budget number in your head. Generally speaking when looking at an older contractor saw you will want to immediately:

Add machined pulleys and a link belt
    Add PALs for alilgnment
    Add an aftermarket fence
    Add an aftermarket splitter

Factor the cost of those items in and then decide if any saw you are looking at is what you are after or not. Dust collection and good blades come into play regardless of the saw so they are not on my list. I also dumped a 100# sack of cement into the base for stability and ended up with a pretty usable saw for many years.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

There are numerous variations, but basic guts of those is the same, and is very good. The early Emerson fences were kinda lame...worth upgrading if you get it for the right price. $175 could be high, could be fair, depending on the condition, completeness, and features. Grated cast wings are worth more than steel, the two cap motor is worth a little more than a single cap motor, blade guard and miter gauge both have some value, wheels add value. Make your offer based on what it looks like and what's included.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Except for the PALs for alignment, I added all the things that Glenn suggests, plus dust collection and I was still was unhappy with it.
    I had the exact same fence that is shown in this owners manual, (Pg 14) and it was utterly unreliable junk. http://www.manualslib.com/manual/480...page=14#manual

YMMV
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

The bare minimum of a new Vega fence, Osborne miter gauge, and link belt will set you back another $400. I know because that is what I added to the same saw to make it usable. If I didn't get the saw for free, I'd never buy it in the first place.

Bttw, the saw needs a fence with a back rail if you have the cast iron wings.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breen (NY) View Post
    Bttw, the saw needs a fence with a back rail if you have the cast iron wings.
    I have this saw with the cast iron wings and you do not need a back rail. I have a Biesmeyer fence and all I had to do was relocate one glide on the fence to align with the back rib of the extension table.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 04-02-2016 at 11:13 AM. Reason: added
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Bought one at a yard sale yesterday for $40. Will put a shop built Biese. Home Shop clone on it plus a rear rail and new paint and tune it up. Will make a good little saw for a home owner/hobbyist or even a serious woodworker as it will be capable of nice work but short on power if you are doing lots of 8/4 hardwood ripping. Will sell in the $250-$300 area depending on bearings, pulleys, etc. Will look like new. I think $175 is way high for the one you are looking at if it needs a fence and other stuff. The original fence on these saws worked if you wanted to spend your time measuring both ends, tap-tap, measure, tap-tap. rather than woodworking.
    Last edited by Dick Brown; 04-02-2016 at 11:20 AM.

Blog Entries
    Don't take all this wrong dennis. We tend to give brutal opinions (both good and bad) where warranted ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Looks like I got bad advice on the fence rails. Not that there were cheaper fences available then...

I realize my first reply was a bit abrupt to the OP. I didn't mean it as such. I do think from the start, a fence, link belt, and general tune up are needed. I used a sled instead of a miter gauge for months until I felt the need to get one and confirmed the saw wasn't going to die.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Don't take all this wrong dennis. We tend to give brutal opinions (both good and bad) where warranted ;-)
    I certainly won't take it wrong, we are talking about a saw here, the franker the responses the better.
    Jim Breen: no problem with your response, as I said frankness is better.
    Dennis

An alternative fence choice and yes the original that I had was a fence-shaped object. Home Depot has the Delta T3 30" fence for $183.33. If I were in the market, I'd look very seriously at this one.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Delta-Pow...30T3/205803795.

May I please "semi-hijack" this thread? Can someone say more about the cast pulleys? I have a Craftsman contractor saw of similar vintage with cast aluminum pulleys. I did put in a link belt, made a lot of difference. I never even thought the pulleys might be a source of aggravation.

Then, as others have noted - there's that fence...

Thanks, regards,

Marty
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity" - anon

13. Marty, the machined pulleys help. Give them a shot if you're having problems. If your's work, ignore my advice. And that fence... Oh, that fence. One of the happiest days of my woodworking existence came when I put a Vega on mine and tossed the stock fence in the barrel.

Dennis, I've also got a similar craftsman saw. It's no Tannewitz, but it gets the job done. Make the recommended upgrades, put a good blade and a fence on it, and buy a respirator (dust collection on anything that says "contractor's saw" is a joke). I've run a lot of 8/4 hardwood through mine, and as long as you don't get in a hurry, it'll earn it's keep. $175 is about right, it'd probably go for $150 with cash in hand. They can be had for free all the way to $500+ if you're gullible, but I wouldn't feel too hurt at your price point. Turn it on, let it run, turn it off, and watch it coast down. Listen for abnormal grinding noises or screeches, and watch for any rodents that might crawl out. If none of the above, you're probably good to go. These aren't terribly complicated machines, just make sure your expectations are in line with their capabilities.