Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wood bandsaw cutting aluminum?

A fix for many of the issues mentioned is simple- oil the blade while cutting aluminum. Any oil will do, even vegetable oil. No hot shards, no pieces to end up in the light sockets, just a small pile of oily aluminum to clean up. And your blade will last a LOT longer.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Any band saw should work fine for that, it's just a matter of using the right blade and whether you want to deal with cleaning the shavings out of your saw. You want a blade designed for cutting metal, with small teeth close together, like 14 tpi or more I would only bother with that if I had a large number of cuts to make, and I would use some sort of guide.

For tubing that small I would probably use a tubing cutter for plumbing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl0GfldpuMs

Another option would be the good ol' hacksaw. If you need to control the cut, it has to be a perfect 90 degrees or something like that, drill a hole through a scrap of hardwood the diameter of your tubing and use your band saw to cut a kerf through the block at whatever angle you need, but don't cut all the way through. Clamp the block down and feed your tube through and use the kerf to guide the hacksaw blade.

If you need several of the same length, just make the kerf that distance from the end of the block and screw another scrap over the end of the hole so it can swing out of the way and let the cut piece drop out.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey