Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Krevov style ' racing ' jointer plane build

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )

Krevov style ' racing ' jointer plane build

I am having trouble posting more than one picture at a time, so I hope this doesn't disappoint-
    I spent the past six weeks at a WW school here in BC Canada - part of the curriculum was building three planes a la Krenov style - a 1" jointer, a 1-1/2" smoother and a curved bottom plane. I posted a couple pics on a previous post. They were all Acacia with Hock irons.
    I had a nice piece of Cocobolo and I wanted a bit wider jointer with more heft for shooting. I had to widen the centre section as it was a hair narrow. This the racing moniker as I used some Gabon Ebony I had.
    The result is a 16" long x 1-1/4" cut x 1-7/8" high.
    The start is the two centre sections and the two cheeks.
    BTW, David Finck's book on the subject is a good reference if you need more details.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave Beauchesne; 04-03-2016 at 9:17 AM. Reason: edit typo

The next shot is a close up of the centre sections - the 45 degree ramp will get a slot milled for the CB screw, the front ramp is 60 degrees and curved as well as card scraped smooth to facilitate shaving removal.

Next is laying out the ramp location, blade / CB allowance and the layout requirements for the cross pin.
    Note the Cocobolo is very dark - it was an old piece of wood I guess - heavily oxidized for the first 1/4", but spectacular on the inside.

The next step is to locate the 45 degree ( rear ) ramp and the back of the two cheeks flush and clamp. The CB slot has been milled at this point.
    The front ramp is located so the blade and CB, when positioned, meets the front ramp at about 1/16" up from the bottom.
    The excess will be removed with a jointer later and finish sanded.
    Clamp the front block at that spot securely.

Four clamps are used and everything double checked.
    There are four locator pins drilled at the top of each corner - these are trimmed flush after a final check is done. 1/4" dowels were used.

With everything clamped and dowelled, the cross pin is cut.
    The stock is 9/16" square, in this case African Blackwood with some sapwood for show.
    The pin has to be fit snugly between the cheeks on its shoulders, but rotate freely on the 5/16" pins I filed onto both ends in excess of the shoulder width. The pins are about 1/8" below the level of the cheeks once the holes in the cheeks are drilled.

Really sexy!

Nice progress.

Glue up next.
    Used a work bench as the base, and a nice heavy caul for the top. Half a dozen beefy Wentzler clamps do the work.
    I scarified the glue surfaces with a ratty 32tpi Zona saw blade, and wiped several times with acetone right before a liberal slathering with Tite Bond III.
    Clamp up, careful to keep the inner blocks from drifting out of place and let it set up overnight.

Very nice. Hope to see the finished plane. Would you do anything differently the next time?

Pat:
    I will continue the posts. It is done, and I have the obligatory shaving picture at the end.
    I was getting only one reply, so, I was going to stop, but will have a few more posts.
    And, no, I think it turned out well. The heft is good and it cuts like a dream.

I have taken it out of the glue up, sliced off the top 1/16" to leave a band sawn surface ( for grip ), and scraped any extra glue off the bottom, as it will be jointed.
    Using a gauge, you determine the length of the wedge and cut it out of the block left over when you separate the two ramps. It is too wide; you need a bit of clearance for lateral movement.
    The Ebony/ Cocobolo/ TB III worked well - I flexed the top trimming back and forth vigorously and it stayed put.

Wedge shot - the bulbous part is a bit too bulky, but an easy fix.

The next step is to scrape the band saw marks off the wedge.
    A nicely sharpened card scraper on a skew makes short work of this task.
    Last edited by Dave Beauchesne; 04-04-2016 at 11:41 PM. Reason: another typo

Cut off the ends where the locator dowels are exposed, ease the edges and get ready for a test run.
    First, run it over the jointer with light passes till the blade just about goes thru the mouth. Then, with the blade assembly and wedge in place with the blade 1/8" above the bottom of the plane ( Wedge tapped snug so you ' torque ' the body as if planing ) carefully sand with a strip of self adhesive sand paper on a reference surface till you can get the blade to just peek thru the mouth.
    Last edited by Dave Beauchesne; 04-04-2016 at 9:39 PM.

Take her for a spin!!