Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is Titebond II Shelf Life?

What is Titebond II Shelf Life?

Hey Y'all

About 15 years ago I was about to start a larger project and had run out of my 3rd bottle of glue in a year, so I had the bright idea to buy a gallon jug because I could save a couple of bucks. Naturally, and as Mr. Murphy states in one of his laws, I got transferred to the west coast from Massachusetts the next day, and I never started that project. THe bottle sat in my Bay Area garage - meaning it never dropped much below about 35 degrees and never went much above 90 degrees for any extended period. Giotta love the weather here.

For whatever reason I didn't get my shop set up until relatively recently. So now I have a gallon of Titebond II that is unopened, and I am wondering if there is any chance it is still good. I suppose I could just try to glue something with it, but that would be way too logical. Its more fun to ask you guys. Also - if its no good, is it a hazmat? What is the scoop on how to dispose of this stuff?

Thanks Folks - I very much appreciate the help.

Joe

Man Joe, if you've had it 15 yrs, I'd say there's no real way to tell. Even sealed, that's gotta be way outside the average shelf life. I think you're gonna have to run a test and see.

PVAs usually have a 12 month shelf life, I've squeezed out more than that but my storage area is optimal. 15 years no go! I would take it to a hazardous goods transfer station or simply spread it out on news print and let it dry then chuck it.

It would be good for sealing the ends of logs or planks.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Try to use it. If it dries and hardens and your two test pieces hold together under stress, then I would be comfortable using it.

Rather than speculate I went to the Titebond site. According to their specs, Titebond II has a 24 month shelf life in a tightly closed container at 75 degrees.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

I would toss it. The cost of glue --as a percentage of everything that goes into a woodworking project-- is so slight, that I wouldn't want to risk using 15-year-old glue.

Disposal: my understanding is that the chemistry of PVA is similar to that of latex paint, so disposal would be similar.

I am dubious of shelf lives. As a manufacturer of chemical products i know much of it is butt covering vs the reality of whether the product is actually useful. I would test it yourself.

How much is a new gallon of TBII. Do we need to do a "crowd source funding" to buy you some. At 15 years old, I'm tight, but not that tight. I quit buying gallons several years back despite building cabinets for local Y's.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    How much is a new gallon of TBII. Do we need to do a "crowd source funding" to buy you some. At 15 years old, I'm tight, but not that tight. I quit buying gallons several years back despite building cabinets for local Y's.
    $18 on Amazon $24.50 woodcraft for gallons

As a chemist I prefer smaller bottles more frequently, than one big volume. This does a couple things
    1. You are more likely to have fresher materials
    2. There will be less exposure to air over time

I have had some bottles go for years, but I have also had a bottle turn translucent orange in situ.
    There was a thread about date codes some time ago
    Last edited by John Stankus; 04-03-2016 at 9:50 PM. Reason: Added date code comment

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Miner View Post
    I would toss it. The cost of glue --as a percentage of everything that goes into a woodworking project-- is so slight, that I wouldn't want to risk using 15-year-old glue.

Disposal: my understanding is that the chemistry of PVA is similar to that of latex paint, so disposal would be similar.
    I agree ^^^^. It's just not enough money to take the chance. If joints start to give way, you'll have a mess on your hands.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Just throw it out and buy a new one. Why risk it?
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Don't throw it out it still can be used for building throw away jigs and fixtures.Ya know stuff that needs glue but you don't expect it to last.
    I have a gallon jug of TB3 that's watered down and clumpy.I find lots of uses.
    I also buy fresh glue for every build.

Good glue is suppose to be stronger than the wood... glue up a couple pieces and after a couple days try break the joint. If most of wood splinters, the glue should be good. If clean break along glue line, no good. But I suspect the glue mix will be inconsistent.... watery with globs, therefore not suitable for fine woodworking.
    Last edited by Bill Orbine; 04-04-2016 at 7:41 AM.

Blog Entries
    I might point out, where do you send a 15 year old gallon of glue. Not to the landfill I trust.

I'm glad I don't have the problem.