Thread: Matching Coffee and Console Table (Koa and Walnut)

Matching Coffee and Console Table (Koa and Walnut)

First time poster here,

Enjoy seeing the different projects posted and setup of shops. After being out of woodworking for several years, I decided to take advantage of having access to a woodworking shop on a military base that has some nice equipment.

Attached are pictures of a coffee table and matching console table. The legs and aprons were attached w/ pocket screws, and top attached to frame w/ some 90degree clips. The koa is 3/4" plywood, and the frame is walnut that I started w/ 4/4 and planed down to ~3/4". For the coffee table, I attached to the walnut trim w/ biscuits and mitered on the corners. On the console table I simply glued the ends and attached the walnut to itself w/ a pocket screw on the breadboard section.

Finish was polyurethane semi-gloss thinned with mineral spirits and painted on.

Regards,

Matt McCullough
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very pretty. Where did you find the Koa ply?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I live in Hawaii (Oahu). Here you can buy it locally from specialty wood shops. I actually got mine from the Air Force base woodshop that was having a craft sale, and they were trying to get rid of koa plywood that they had stocked up.

Sweet! My avatar is a Kauai rooster. I worked on the island several weeks a year from 2003 thru 2010.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Striking contrast. For a brushed on finish, that looks outstanding.

John

Looks very nice. I too like the finish.

Nice work and welcome to the Creek! When I was there I spent most of my spare time at the auto craft shop. Didn't know about any wood craft shops, but wasn't into much woodworking at the time. Good to see those are still available for servicemen.

BTW, thanks for your service! You're in good company here

Blog Entries
    Nice pair of pieces well executed. The woods go together well and suit the locations in the home to boot. Very nicely done.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Very nice project. Koa wood is really nice wood. I was able to get a small piece in my luggage when we came back from Hawaii the last rip. Still haven't decided what to make out of it.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Really nice!