Thread: Made some sticks this weekend

Made some sticks this weekend

While I've been waiting to finish another project I've been working on these. I reclaimed the wood from some flooring that was being thrown out, all in all a good weekend

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    The straight edge is actually the straightest thing in my garage at the moment. I'm really happy with the way the inlay turned out on the winding sticks even though I had to go a lot deeper than I wanted. But the marking gauge is my favorite, works like a champ and feels good in the hand.

Blog Entries
    Nice work Kenneth!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    Great looking work.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Clean and simple! What did you use for the pin on your marking gauge?

Nice! Side projects can be some of the most fun.

Nice, I especially like that marking gauge.

Great work! I like them all!

The marking gauge is definitely my favorite, I used a sharpened finish nail for the pin.

I'd like to make a square, a double arm gauge, and a panel gauge. Any other ideas for small shop tools to make?

I made a dovetail square out of white oak. Paul Sellers has a video on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Fisher View Post
    The straight edge is actually the straightest thing in my garage at the moment

Cool - how exactly did you get it to be so straight and how do you verify it? Any tricks up your sleeve that you'd perhaps elaborate on? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post

Cool - how exactly did you get it to be so straight and how do you verify it? Any tricks up your sleeve that you'd perhaps elaborate on? Thanks
    Once I got it kinda straight, I set my smoothing plane to the finest setting I could get and when I could pull a single shaving across the entire length I started checking. I'd start with a visual check, sighting down the length and once I fixed the errors I could see I started checking against itself. I used it to draw a line on the bench, flipped it over the line, lined up the ends and drew a second line. Once both lines were the same I knew I was close enough for woodworking.

Hi Kenneth,

Very nice job!

I have wanted to get some lumber for marking gauges, winding sticks, a square to two, and mallet heads and handles, etc. I have been looking for some tree trimmings or cut down trees, etc.

Your post "recycled flooring" reminded me of some lumber that I have, and didn't even think about! I too have some reclaimed flooring that I salvaged years (read that about 30 years ago and is in my attic), for projects and have some left over, and also a bit of old bowling alley lumber. I can get squares, mallet handles (I think), and winding sticks out of this stuff. I thought I was really poor on lumber for such projects, now with your reminder I realize that for very small projects, I am actually rich!

Thanks for the post, and again nice work! (I need to think what I have that will work for a mallet head, or may have to break down and actually buy some....not my normal approach.)

Thanks and regards,

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 04-04-2016 at 8:44 PM.