Thread: Irish Setter Woodcarving

Irish Setter Woodcarving

Irish Set HT 7 Red.jpgIrish Set HT 10 Red.jpgIrish Set HT 12 Red.jpgIrish Set HT 16 Red.jpg

Hopefully you folks will bear with me on this set. This is a just completed Irish Setter. I had to get some photos for the client and I know some folks here look forward to these for which I am very grateful.

Anyway we are getting snowed on again. No snow all winter but we have had a few storms here in March and April. We are going to get enough snow that the spot I use for natural light photos is going to be unavailable for a few days. There is already some snow on the table that I use for photos. So, the finish is not even dry on the carving as you can see from the sheen. The light is all wrong. Some of the angles are all wrong and there is some optical distortion in some cases as a result. But half an hour later and I would not be able to photograph out there the way its coming down. I will likely replace them in a few days with better photos. At the very least the sheen will not be bouncing off your eyeballs as the finish will be dry by then.

Hope you enjoy the carving with these photos such as they are.
    Last edited by James Nugnes; 04-04-2016 at 7:31 PM.

This should make someone very happy. Your detail and proportions are spot on. Thumbs Up.
    . . .JoeB

Joe I did not want you to think I had not seen your kind words of support. Usually I wait in these threads to see if there are technical questions about techniques. Clearly we are a group of carvers. So I do not post these things up here thinking I will generate customers from here. I post these up because people have expressed an appreciation for the work and because it might help other carvers doing similar kinds of work.

The whole issue of proportions when using 2D media in order to support 3D artistic work without benefit of a 3D model and without the artistic license to vary by much from the subject characteristics is an interesting topic all its own. Computer software for example at least IMO is not nearly as capable as the human brain with its limitless horizons is at doing it. However one must train his brain to do this and that takes time and dedication. Not only can it be done but because of the way a computer works when compared to the way the human brain works, the human brain will beat the computer software like a rented mule once it has trained itself to do this.

. . . JoeB