Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: waterlox, questions remain

waterlox, questions remain

after reading about a dozen posts on here about waterlox, I've learned a lot, but I have some remaining questions.

I am in the middle of a project to finish birch butcher-block counter tops for a DIY kitchen update. I have already applied a number of coats of waterlox original with generally good results, but my technique is evolving and I've run into a few issues. I trust that some of the experienced finishers on this forum will have advice.

Here is what I have done to date:
    • applied about six coats of WL to two separate pieces of the counter using a foam brush.
    • after four coats with no sanding between, I was dissatisfied with how rough the surface was and began experimenting with sanding between coats. I used 320 open-grit paper and hand sanded with the grain, vacuuming up dust and using a cloth with MS to thoroughly clean.
    • at the same time, I tried a technique I read about elsewhere (hadn't discovered this forum yet) that somebody called "dry brushing"--applying a very liberal amount of WL with a foam brush, waiting 20 minutes, and then gently smoothing the waterlox with a new dry brush.
    • the results of this sanding/dry-brush technique were pretty good: I have a very smooth, glossy surface that looks like a thick layer of clear resin over the wood. however, there are some places where you can see brush strokes in the final coat (perhaps because I literally pooled the waterlox on and pushed it around with the dry brush per this other guy's recommendations). You can also see scratches from my sanding on the previous coat if you look at the right angle. there are also drips on the sides of the counter from the excess that ran down the sides. the dry-brush technique does not seem well-suited for edges given the volume of liquid applied.

overall, the counter surface looks pretty good, but not quite right. also, I was not expecting such a thick, glossy-looking finish. The several accounts that I read beforehand made me think the WL would be a more natural-looking alternative to poly finish. It has now been about two weeks since I applied the last dry-brush coat, and I know that the gloss gradually diminishes as the WL cures over a month, but it honestly looks more plastic-y then many wood counters that I have seen coated in poly.

After getting to this stage, I discovered the threads on this forum in which experienced waterloxers recommend the wipe-on, "cleaning a fast-food table" method. I was curious to see if this method might produce a thinner, more natural (i.e., less cased-in-resin) look, so I took one of the counters and sanded down the surface. I didn't go all the way, however, and I'll admit that I'm a rookie and probably made some mistakes at this stage. I started with 120 grit on the orbital sander, went up to 220, and then went to 320 (all with the orbital sander) to get a very smooth surface. After cleaning off dust, I applied three coats using the wipe-on technique (blue shop towel). That has dried for 24 hours.

So here is where I'm seeking guidance. The results were not stellar:
    1. the surface clearly shows wipe marks in some places--it is much less even than the "dry-brush" approach I used first. Do these wipe marks go away after applying more wipe-on coats, or could it be my technique? i tried not to leave any pooled resin when I wiped on.
    2. I can clearly see squiggle marks from my sanding of the previous coat. Have I used poor sanding technique--using too large a grain of paper or using an orbital sander between coats rather than sanding by hand? Did I need to continue sanding down to a finer grit? I thought to try the orbital because my previous results with hand sanding and 320 grit weren't great, either.

I know I'm throwing a lot of questions out there, so I'll take what advice I can get. I still have one counter that looks *pretty good* that I haven't fussed with, but ideally I'd like to get both of these looking better using the wipe-one technique, which sounded like it was less fussy than heaping on the finish and dry-brushing (which nobody on here appears to recommend). Any hope of resurrecting the counter with the squiggle marks in the previous layer without sanding all the way back to the wood?

thanks in advance for your advice.

You might want to mention which Waterlox product(s) you're interested in. Waterlox is a brand, not a product and they have several different finishes which are, um...different.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Post a picture of what you have.

I suspect that you have a thick enough film now. If you wait a few weeks, the surface will cure and you may improve the look by 'rubbing out' the surface. This involves a gentle sanding with with high grits of sandpaper to level all your brush marks, and then polishing it up to an acceptable gloss with even finer sandpaper.

You can also (as I do): level the brush marks with high grit sandpaper, and then WIPE on a couple coats of Waterlox Original Sealer Finish Original Formula to restore the luster. You can apply this product every year to make it look new.

thanks for your responses. Jim, I mentioned at the beginning of my post that it is waterlox original. It is not the low VOC version.

Prashun, sanding with heavy grit and then refinishing sounds like something I'd try. When you use this method, what grit do you use, and do you sand by hand? How many coats does it take before you have a smooth surface again and don't see any wipe marks?

thanks

*** NOT SANDING WITH HEAVY GRIT ***

I mean sanding with a HIGH grit, like 400 or 600. This is done only to level the surface - not to remove the finish. Achieving a level surface will provide a more professional looking surface. OSF looks less like plastic as the surface cures. Having a nice film on a counter top is a good thing. My bartop is finished with Waterlox (high gloss) and it's about 7-8 years old and looks very good still.

oh, right. important clarification. thanks! do you have any advice for how I can deal with the counter on which I sanded with too large of a grit that now has squiggle marks from the OS?

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    *** NOT SANDING WITH HEAVY GRIT ***

I mean sanding with a HIGH grit, like 400 or 600. This is done only to level the surface - not to remove the finish. Achieving a level surface will provide a more professional looking surface. OSF looks less like plastic as the surface cures. Having a nice film on a counter top is a good thing. My bartop is finished with Waterlox (high gloss) and it's about 7-8 years old and looks very good still.

As the saying goes...

If the squiggle's in the wood, no good;

if the squiggle's in the finish, finer grits will diminish.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Dingler View Post
    thanks for your responses. Jim, I mentioned at the beginning of my post that it is waterlox original. It is not the low VOC version.
    My apologies...I missed that one word...oy!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hi Colin,

I did a dining table w/Waterlox OSF about a year and a half ago. I'd never used the product before & found this online:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/how-t...g-varnish.aspx

I "sort of" followed the first 4 steps, but modified things along the way. (The last two steps (rubbing out & waxing) & didn't do. I didn't want the wax, & a rub-out wasn't practical given that the wood was reclaimed & had lots of imperfections, texture, etc.)

A few thoughts I recall from my experience:

1. Wiping (rather than brushing) allowed me to build the finish slowly & stop where I liked it.
    2. During the wiping, I found that after the surface was wetted I definitely had to finish with a wipe in the direction of the grain or I'd get wipe marks here & there. But maybe I just wasn't applying it fast enough. On that note...
    3. You have to wipe relatively quickly. Get in & get out. If you labor over it, you'll take too long & end up with wipe marks.
    3. The last few coats I wet-sanded on & lightly wiped off. I recall using 400 or 600 grit wet/dry paper on some coats, and a 3M between-coats pad on others. And by "lightly wiped off" I mean the wipe-off rag was usually damp from removed finish so it was still leaving a little behind. When it got too wet I'd replace it. In other words, I wasn't making a point of removing every bit of excess with a completely dry rag. This approach seemed to work well. It left a silky feel & dried quickly - avoiding most dust nibs. After the final coat had dried, a quick rub-down with a folded up piece of brown paper bag removed the remaining nibs wo/altering the sheen. (BTW, this wet-sand-and-wipe approach also seemed to take the edge off the initial sheen. It was still glossy, but not as much so.)
    4. The OSF sheen does indeed die down w/time. The table is a nice semi-gloss now, but was very glossy out of the can (as the mfg. & many experts in this forum have noted).

Lastly, I think the naturalness you're looking for in the finish will be dictated by the thickness of the build. If you put too much on - whether in thin coats or thick - the OSF will form a thick layer just like any other film finish (poly, etc.). And the thicker it gets, the less natural it'll look.

Hope this helps!

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Van Kirk; 04-12-2016 at 1:57 AM.

Steve, thanks for the detailed write up! I had to travel for work and am just getting back to reading your post. I'm a little wary of trying the wet-sand technique because that sounds more technical, and I had enough trouble with simple wipe-on. But I've got a spare piece of the butcher-block, so maybe I"ll try it out there.

I do have an unanswered finishing question that applied to any sanding between coats: when people talk about doing a light "scuff" sand with something like 320 before the final coat of varnish, is there an advantage to sanding by hand or a disadvantage to sanding with an orbital sander? I have open grit 320 pads for my RO sander, and I've had bad results with visible scratch marks when I sanded by hand with 320. Any tips about this technique?

thanks again to everyone for the advice.

I don't sand with 320 for After the penultimate coat. I would sand with 600 by hand. Don't sand for the look. Sand so your hand feels it as smooth. Dust and well without ms and wipe the final coat on.

With Waterlox osf the best technique for me is to wipe it on quickly without being hurried or frantic. use big overlapping circles. If you miss a spot, hit it with the rag. Then leave it.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 04-16-2016 at 7:19 PM.

I agree. 320 IMHO is too coarse for sanding at that stage.

Like Prashun, I use 600 by hand for Waterlox OSF.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Hi Colin,

Hey - you're welcome. And BTW, the wet-sanding was very easy - it wasn't complicated or technical at all. My apologies if I made it seem so. And don't think of it as "sanding" per se. It's more like you're just applying wiping varnish with a piece of 600 grit sand paper instead of a cloth. The "accidental byproduct" of which is a smoother surface.

In terms of technique, I basically dipped the sandpaper in a jar of Waterlox OSF, lightly rubbed it onto the wood - with the grain or in small circles, either seemed to work because of the fine grit - and then lightly removed most of the excess as I described before. You could probably put the OSF in a small squirt bottle, too, but I didn't have one at the time.

BTW, it's not a precision job - you just rub it on relatively quickly & wipe it off. I did it on the last the last few coats, but you could just do it on the last coat alone if you're happy with the build to that point. (BTW, prior to this coat, build the finish however you want (wiping, brushing, etc.).)

Regarding your question about hand-sanding vs. ROS, I'll defer to the experts on this forum. In my limited experience I've found that it's very easy to sand through a layer of reactive finish (e.g. poly, etc.) with a ROS. This creates witness lines, which in my opinion are pretty much impossible to remove without going back to bare wood. They don't sand out, they just move around. And covering them up with the next coat helps, but they're still visible to a discerning eye. I was working with poly at the time, though, so I can't speak specifically about Waterlox in this area. I was also refinishing a drum (i.e. a curved surface); perhaps a flatter project would have made the ROS more feasible. I'm skeptical, though, and would encourage you to proceed with caution if you choose the ROS route. Especially since Waterlox is a wiping varnish (i.e. a thinned varnish), thus it will go on in thinner layers than the poly I was brushing.

Have a good one!

Steve

excellent information. Thanks, everyone. I'll give the 600 grit a try, and the wet sanding doesn't sound too daunting now. Because I was having trouble with the witness lines from oversanding with the ROS, I just applied a heavier coat with the foam brush, and that seems to have at least diminished their appearance. I'll play around with these wipe-on technique when I finish.

one other question: I've read various things about diluting the Waterlox Original to 50/50 with MS when wiping on. Is that what the folks on this thread did? Is it necessary, or just done for some other purpose?

Hi Colin
    I have only done a couple tables with Waterlox, and had some of the same learning pains you are experiencing, but in the end really liked it. There are two (maybe more?) flavors of "Original". One is a medium sheen sealer and finish (red can), and the other is a gloss finish (green can). One needs to be diluted with MS for wiping, and the other doesn't. I think its the green can that needs to be diluted, and the red one (sealer/finish) can be used for wiping as is. Someone here with a better knowledge of this stuff can confirm that, I might have that reversed.