Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommend a good toaster

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    IoT (Internet of Things err Toasters) Does it have WiFi?.
    No. But it might have Bluetooth. Haven't checked that yet.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Couple of years ago, my wife went on search for the"perfect" toaster. After months of looking at everything available locally and reading nearly every review on the internet, we ended up at our local Restaurant supply house and bought a commercial toaster. Looks like the kind you see at the "free breakfast bar" at motels. She figured that if it could handle tourists, it should be able to hold up to the two of us.

It's built like a tank and weighs nearly as much, but she is happy with it. I expect it to be an heirloom for our kids to fight over.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hulbert View Post
    Couple of years ago, my wife went on search for the"perfect" toaster. After months of looking at everything available locally and reading nearly every review on the internet, we ended up at our local Restaurant supply house and bought a commercial toaster. Looks like the kind you see at the "free breakfast bar" at motels. She figured that if it could handle tourists, it should be able to hold up to the two of us.

It's built like a tank and weighs nearly as much, but she is happy with it. I expect it to be an heirloom for our kids to fight over.
    Those make great toast--very uniform, and heavy duty NiCr elements to last a long time. Congrats!

Finally remembered to check the brand. The toaster is made by HATCO. It's a 4 slice commercial model and works like a champ. Even the crumb trays are stainless steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    I have my grandparents Sunbeam T-20 and make toast about four days a week with it. You can find the T-20 through T-40 models on eBay all the time for about the same price as a new toaster. My Sunbeam has lasted about seventy years. That variety is the type where you simply place the bread in and it both automatically lowers and raises.
    I grew up with one of those in the house, was bought in the early '50's. I ended up with it. Sometime in the '80's, it started acting up. Took it apart and found the electric contact was burned. Since I wanted to fix it, I took it to a friend's house who could gold plate the contact. We were surprised to find the contacts were about as thick as a dime, a 1/3 inch in diameter, and made of nearly pure silver! Fixing it was a snap, no plating needed. Built to last forever.

My wife didn't share my love of the old toaster, we now have a B&D toaster-toaster/convection oven. It works OK as an oven but takes forever to make toast.

Funny story- After growing up with the Sunbeam toaster in my family, my older brother was at his girlfriend's house (later to become his wife) and went to make toast. He dropped the bread in the slots, and waited...and waited. His girlfriend looked at him- "Gee, don't you know how to run a toaster?". And pushed the lever down on the side.

-Tom