Thread: Nova DVR XP will not start

Nova DVR XP will not start

Hi all,
    I have a problem!
    My DVR just stopped (three weeks ago) and gives me a "FAULT low!RPM" it just will not start.
    I have had the optical sensor out to clean as well as vacuumed all dust out of the back end of the head.
    Even the Tech Staff at Nova in Florida have not been able to advise what to do to get it running.
    We just came back from two weeks away and today I will pull the Electronics out and Mail the boards to Florida.
    Is there anyone else with this problem and a possible solution?

Thanks
    Peter F.

That fault, with the lathe not turning suggests to me it's the mother board and not the display board.
    But I can see why they might want you to send both for repair.

I have probably 100x the hours on mine as the local club one, maybe a 1000x (or more) as I tend to walk off and leave it "on".
    I have had to repair the club lathe twice, one was a mother board and the other was the display.
    I have only clean mine.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Had the same problem this summer. Sent the board in for repairs and works like a charm. Service was quick and affordable.

Thanks Ralph and Eric,
    I bought mine and set it up on 5 Jan 2010 so it is just over 6 years old. Although I am a hobby turner I use the lathe very frequently and it does get left on when I am in the shop.
    Teknatool Service Dept tells me the Mother board and the Control panel are paired and need to be kept together.
    They could not tell me what went wrong so I am mailing the parts to Florida today. I am also sending the little Optical Sensor board so they can check the whole system. Hope it will be a reasonable cost repair!
    Peter F.

Peter, please let us know how this turns out.

I have the DVR XP and the "boards" give me some concern. I always leave the machine unplugged when not in use for several hours and I've been thinking I should put it on a surge protector - just like any other computer.

Eric, could you please describe your repair and the cost?
    RD

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Dooling View Post
    I have the DVR XP and the "boards" give me some concern. I always leave the machine unplugged when not in use for several hours and I've been thinking I should put it on a surge protector - just like any other computer.
    YES, a good one. This winter we had a "brown out" while we were in the shop. The lathe took no damage, while the electronics in the remote controlled air-filter (which wasn't protected) got hammered.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.