Thread: Workshop Tour- small in-home handtool workshop

Blog Entries

Workshop Tour- small in-home handtool workshop

Someone on another thread asked for views of my shop, and it's easier to do with a video than still images. I failed to mention in the video that the home was built to fit a lot that is not square, so the back wall angles about 12 degrees if I remember correctly. It's a real pain because the corners are not 90 degrees. The shop would be almost perfect if both long walls were 16', but only one wall is 16' and the other is about 13'.

I also failed to mention that I do have a Ridgid planer and folding contractor's saw that I keep in a closet, and I totally forgot to film the small bathroom that is on the other side of that closed door next to the bandsaw. That bathroom houses my air compressor and stores a few pieces of wood and plywood. I almost considered just removing the toilet and sink and making it storage only, which I may do one day, but not any time soon.

At the end of the tour I take you outside and show you the house next door which is a vacant stone structure that is beautiful on the outside, and needs a lot of work on the inside- basically gutted to the exterior walls and completely redone. It's a freestanding open structure (i.e. no internal support walls) with a 3' deep crawl space, and HUGE beams for floor joists- 3" thick, and over 12" wide. The problem is the beams are spaced 24" apart, so if I got the place I'd fill in between those with another joist. The floors are toast and would have to all come out, but the roof is fairly new and the walls are solid stone construction about 15" thick and have been there 180 years. It would make a beautiful workshop with a view. We are trying to buy it, and then my workshop will become a bedroom.

Thanks for the tour! i hope you get the place next door.