Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Holes cut too many times

I just came across a job that fits this discussion perfectly- Got sent a DXF to cut out the shape, with holes...
    There's 4 holes, and the outer cut, that's 5 objects. I grouped the whole graphic, and see the arrow, 100 objects!

So I clicked and moved a few pieces-- with the exception of
    the actual circles, ALL pieces are disconnected!

So then I grouped the outer box and outlined it and moved it, did the same with the holes,
    then grouped the new graphic. Note the arrow, only 5 objects
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    I just came across a job that fits this discussion perfectly- Got sent a DXF to cut out the shape, with holes...
    There's 4 holes, and the outer cut, that's 5 objects. I grouped the whole graphic, and see the arrow, 100 objects!
    In this and your previous example it looks like one click with the smart fill tool would accomplish the same thing. What benefit is there to using the outline tool?
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Haven't had a chance yet to try out any of these working on other things now but will get back to then in a day or 2, thanx for all the suggestions.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Harman View Post
    In this and your previous example it looks like one click with the smart fill tool would accomplish the same thing. What benefit is there to using the outline tool?
    Smart fill works too, I'm just not that familiar with it. Like many others, no one's taught me to use Corel and I'm still learning...

So, I just tried the smart fill, it worked fine on my shape & holes graphic. However, on another set of DXF graphics dropped off on me today, I found filled everything on the page, not just what was grouped, and it didn't fill the interior items like it did on the other graphic. And I didn't actually want color fill, only vector lines, so I had to remove the color...

So, 'benefit' depends on the user and what he's doing!
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 04-07-2016 at 10:04 PM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    ...I found filled everything on the page, not just what was grouped, and it didn't fill the interior items like it did on the other graphic. And I didn't actually want color fill, only vector lines, so I had to remove the color...
    If the graphics are not closed then some extra steps are necessary, or if there is a closed shape within a shape within a shape then extra clicks are needed because it only fills the open space between closed shapes. But I would think that the extra work needed would be less with the smart fill tool then with outlining.

Removing the color is one click too. I'm just curious if there is a situation where outlining is fewer steps than using smart fill.
    Gerber Sabre 408

I tried this and when I nudge it there is only one circle.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Clumpner View Post
    Sometimes in these file translations the objects layer on top of each other. There must be 21 objects for the path to follow. In corel just set your nudge to 1" and move the top object off to the side, then just delete all the remaining objects, and move the top element back. It's tedious, but if you run this file often the effort will be worth it for your piece of mind.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Maybe I miss whats suppose to happen when using smart fill.
    What did was put the smart fill sight in the center of my 1/8 inch circle hit enter. What it did was fill the center of that circle with a grey color and put a thick black outline around that fill.When I went to cut that circle same thing 21 cuts. Did I do it wrong?

Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

This is how I made the key fob.
    got the basic shape with my holes
    selected all of it
    clicked "no outline" this left a blank page
    Clicked "hair outline" this put hair outline on all I selected.
    Changed outline color to red.

This should have left me with just a basic key fob and Like I said there are no other objects there according to the nudge it moved my original circle out of the way and left a blank space where it was.
    GO FIGURE
    ok heres the original file see if you guys can tell me what I did wrong here as far as the circles go
    thnx x5

RD Cam/Laserworks has a menu option to delete duplicate lines. Maybe your software does too?

If there are only two circles it should be very easy to delete what is there and draw two new ones.
    Blank Key fob.cdr
    Last edited by Bert Kemp; 04-09-2016 at 6:46 PM.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Control + K on the circles. Then delete the extras.

Join the overall shape (Arange -> Join Curves). I'm not sure if it will effect you but your overall shape is not symmetrical.

Also one more trick for deleting a lot of extra shapes, I like to get the "good stuff" then hit control + x (cut). Then select everything (control + a) and simply delete it. Then hit control +v (paste). This technique has saved me a lot of aggravation because you don't have to worry about any nonsense remaining on the page.
    Last edited by Ross Moshinsky; 04-09-2016 at 9:06 PM.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Bert,

Select one of the holes that go to arrange/brake curve apart. Now with nudge offset you can see that there are multiple images stacked on top of each other.

Ross has instructed you how to go about to clean up.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

If your customer can export or send as a DWG rather than a DXF it will help...... Corel seems to like it better and want give you as much trouble......Another solution would be to get one of the free DWG/DXF programs and load the file in this program and then resend in same format or another. (Something like "Draftsight" "Fusion") Most of the time it is the program that is preparing the DXF or DWG file that is the culprit. We personally use Turbocad for all of our Cad drawing for the laser and then send to Corel as a DWG. Our files are very extensive and complex as a whole with our musical instrument templates.
    Last edited by Kevin L. Waldron; 04-09-2016 at 9:49 PM.

Bert, I just emailed you 2 files,let me know if they work or not.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Rabbit Laser 36 x 48, 80 watt laser
    Full wood shop
    Plasma cutting machine, 4' x 4'
    Vinyl Cutter

Tony did you do this with the file I attached? I read your post went directly to file and tried that it still only shows 1 one circle nothing underneath it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Lenkic View Post
    Bert,

Select one of the holes that go to arrange/brake curve apart. Now with nudge offset you can see that there are multiple images stacked on top of each other.

Ross has instructed you how to go about to clean up.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Bert,

Here is another way for you get get deeper into problem solving.

With only key fob image on your page open "OBJECT MANAGER" docker.
    You will see 6 objects. Now select one of the holes and press "CTRL + K" on your keyboard. Now in object manager you will see all additional objects that were now noticed before you brake them apart (CTRL + K).

On the Smart fill tool subject when you use it try only one so object to fill so you get the feel of it.
    Pick smart fill tool and choose the color from the pallet and outline color pallet and also select hairline. Now click on one of the holes and you should have it filled. Right away move the filled object in any direction to clear previous hole. Now delete original and move new one back to same spot. Remove the fill and leave only outline for processing with laser.

Hope this helps.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Maybe I miss whats suppose to happen when using smart fill.
    What did was put the smart fill sight in the center of my 1/8 inch circle hit enter. What it did was fill the center of that circle with a grey color and put a thick black outline around that fill.When I went to cut that circle same thing 21 cuts. Did I do it wrong?
    You would click outside that circle but inside the outline of the key fob. That would flood fill the area in between creating a new shape with outline and fill type of what is currently in use. Then you just click/drag that new shape off to the side and delete everything else - or control x to cut, delete what you don't need then paste it back. Or, set up a nudge so that you can move it aside to delete things, then nudge it back to the same spot. I think cutting and pasting is easiest.

I think that once you choose the fill and outline type for the smart fill tool that the settings persist so that the next time you use it you will not need to set it up again.
    Gerber Sabre 408