Thread: How old might this Mathieson try plane be?

How old might this Mathieson try plane be?

I bought it on eBay and it arrived today.

3-5/16 wide x 3-1/4 tall x 22 long, double iron, body and cutting iron marked Mathieson. It is in great shape, and will be a good user. Someone named W. MacLachan put his name on it, as can be seen.

I am thinking of putting a strike button into the fore end. Would that ruin it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gene,

It is probably second half of the 19th century, hard to pinpoint more than that. The moon and star logo was not used before about 1850, from what I have read.

Mathieson planes are often top-notch, and that one looks nice. Congrats!

It would be a shame to disfigure such a nice old plane by adding a new strike button, in my opinion. I keep a dead blow mallet on the bench for removing the irons from my woodies I of course use a smaller plane hammer for adjustments). Nobody else has modified that plane in the last 150 years or so, so why start now?

Have fun with it; it's a beauty.
    "For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert

Very nice plane! And I agree with Steve, don't change it! You can use a wooden mallet on the back to release the wedge or to raise the blade a little. It seems inconvenient to use two hammers to set the plane, but in real life it's not that bad.

Grace has nice brass mallets where one head is tipped with delrin. Also to loosen the wedge one can just tap the plane's end on the workbench.
    http://www.amazon.com/Grace-USA-Guns.../dp/B00V9U6VVC

That's a beautiful plane. I wish I could find one like it from Mathieson. Instead of making a change to that one, you should consider making a copy of it yourself, and making any modifications you'd like to have to the copy. Keeping that one just the way she is would be high on my priority list.
    Jeff