Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DXF file and odd cutting order

DXF file and odd cutting order

I was just playing around with cutting out a leather key chain fob and found it difficult in Corel to draw a shape. So I used my CAD system which is Alibre and drew up the part and made a DXF file and imported it into the Corel software. Went to cut with the laser and it cuts each section of the complete path in an odd order, jumps all around, does a line, then opposite side of the part does and arc, then back to another side and does another line and so on. Eventually gets it all done, but how do I get the DXF file to cut in a continuous path? Do I "weld" the DXF file together before I send it to the laser? Something else I'm missing?
    Brian Lamb
    Lamb Tool Works, Custom tools for woodworkers
    Equipment: Felder KF700 and AD741, Milltronics CNC Mill, Universal Laser X-600

It is hard to say if you can do anything in Alibre to improve it - there might be, but it could be time consuming to find a way. What I would likely do is segregate each contiguous path in CorelDraw and just "combine" the vectors into a single path. If it should be a closed path (eg an outline cut), then make sure the path is actually closed. (If it will fill with a color, it is closed. If it won't fill with a color there is a gap somewhere.)

You might get by with cutting an open path but I like to close paths to make sure it is truly contiguous. Filled shapes must be closed paths.

If a path looks closed under magnification but won't fill, I usually select the object, "close path" -> straight lines and then it will fill. There might be a .001" gap somewhere due to translation roundoffs but a break is a break as far as Corel is concerned.

Thanks Richard,

That did the trick, in Corel X7 it was "Join curves", then you have to "apply" when the box opens up. That closed the shape so I could fill it. Went and retested on the laser and it did cut a continuous path around the outside that way. I appreciate the help!

This will be a big help as I don't understand how to, or maybe I don't feel that I can draw as accurately and quickly in Corel as I can in Alibre. It's a lot easier there to draw a quadrant and then mirror images and get accurate angles and dimensions. Plus, I have a lot of parts already drawn and it will save re-doing them completely in Corel.
    Brian Lamb

You need to use the OUTLINE function, will will draw a single, closed shape from any other closed shape, as long as all nodes are connected, which they usually are in DXF files, and regardless of how many multiple copies of the shape are hiding beneath in other layers...

I just explained the outline function in this thread just yesterday, with pics--
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-to-many-times
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 04-07-2016 at 2:08 PM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Hi Kev,

Thank you, I read a portion of what you posted in the other thread, but didn't quite grasp it. I went back and looked at it after your second post and it makes better sense to me and I was able to do just what you said, use outline and set my nudge to shift the outline over and remove all other pieces, then move back. Thank you for the tips, I have a lot to learn in Corel....
    Brian Lamb

Brian if its any help I grew up so to speak using AutoCad, and I find Corel difficult to use for exact dimensions. Draw in CAD export DXF to Corel to use with my ULS machine.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Bringing this thread back up again, having trouble today with cut order. I had the inside cuts black, so they should go first, then the outside cuts blue, so they should cut after the black. I did use an imported DXF file, but using Kev's suggestions used Outline and shifted over.... oh wait, I used duplicate instead of nudge, maybe that's the problem with it cutting the outside once in broken lines and a second time as a continuous path.... will go test that theory.

Now, the problem of cut order still persists though.... I have setting in the ULS print drivers that I have questions about, took a couple of pictures of the screen.

First one, in the print window, should I be set on grayscale or RGB?

IMG_1233.jpg

This is the X-600 Properties window, it has "Vector Optimizer" as off

IMG_1231.jpg

And these are the options there, what do they mean? Enhance or sort?

IMG_1232.jpg
    Brian Lamb

I re-did the corel file using the nudge instead of duplicate. That got rid of the multiple passes around the perimeter. It did not however make the cutting order correct. So, I went in and tried the "Enhance and Sort" option and that made the machine cut the insides first, then the outside.

We did have a power blip the other day and windows went buggy, so maybe my print settings got messed up. Hopefully someone with a ULS laser can see what theirs are set on.
    Brian Lamb

Brian

You should work with the RGB palette. There may be a ULS palette as well but it will be RGB based.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Lamb View Post
    I re-did the corel file using the nudge instead of duplicate.

Brian,
    Is there any valid reason why you convert Corel file to DXF? You know that ULS will engrave and cut direct from Corel cdr. file.
    I have run my ULS V-400 that way for years. Now it is sitting in the corner awaiting new home since Trotec Speedy 300 does all the jobs on time and I have room for single unit.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

OK, so set the output colors to RGB? I do use the ULS Color Palette which is RGB. I only use the pure RGB colors, blue, red, yellow and so on.

As for DXF files, it's not converting Corel into DXF, it's the other way. I can design parts in Alibre (my CAD system) a whole lot easier, especially for precision shapes and complex contours. Then it outputs DXF files, I then import them into Corel and convert them to a cdr file to use on the laser. My only issue with that is I find any DXF file tends to laser one portion of a line at a time, in no particular order. That is why I use Kev's suggestion and outline the shape to combine it into one continuous path.

It would be nice if you could pick and choose your starting points and order like I do in CNC machining, especially for vector cutting. I don't know enough about the software, maybe that's possible and I just don't know how to accomplish it.
    Brian Lamb

It would be nice if you could pick and choose your starting points and order like I do in CNC machining, especially for vector cutting. I don't know enough about the software, maybe that's possible and I just don't know how to accomplish it.

That could be accomplished with object manager in Corel draw but it will be time consuming. Combining objects and setting cut path takes time as is learning Corel to start with.
    Can you show us complexity of your design?
    Xenetech 1625 x2,

OK, so set the output colors to RGB? I do use the ULS Color Palette which is RGB. I only use the pure RGB colors, blue, red, yellow and so on.

As for DXF files, it's not converting Corel into DXF, it's the other way. I can design parts in Alibre (my CAD system) a whole lot easier, especially for precision shapes and complex contours. Then it outputs DXF files, I then import them into Corel and convert them to a cdr file to use on the laser. My only issue with that is I find any DXF file tends to laser one portion of a line at a time, in no particular order. That is why I use Kev's suggestion and outline the shape to combine it into one continuous path.

Why not print directly from Alibre?
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Hi Tony,

I will attach a screen shot of the design in Alibre, just an earring the wife wanted to try. If it is a matter of drawing the original Alibre file in a specific order, I could probably do that, just not sure where to start.

When I'm doing something like this, in Alibre it's a 5-10 minute design, I think because it has lots of easy drawing tools to work with, and I can draw portions and mirror image and all sorts of things, like automatic fillet radii.... If I try the same thing in Corel, at least so far, I'm in there for hours trying to accomplish the same thing. This is why for odd shapes I resort to the CAD software, for text, signage and things like that, Corel wins hands down.

Ross, I wasn't aware I could, or at least know how to print directly from Alibre.... I do have a copy of Alibre on the shop computer, will have to see if I can print from there. My ULS manual is pretty sketchy on how to print from anything other than Corel, AI, or DOS based programs, so if there are pointers or suggestions, I'm all ears.

screen-capture-1.jpg
    Last edited by Brian Lamb; 05-21-2016 at 12:56 PM. Reason: forgot pic
    Brian Lamb

Brian,

I see there is a "PRINTER" icon on your program. You should be able to send a print file to ULS directly from Alibre.

That image is quite simple and small to organize cut order in Corel with "object manager" form a docker or even two color process where inner parts are one color to cut first and outer perimeter as a last cut.
    If you have question on object manager how to place them in order we can give you help on that.
    Xenetech 1625 x2,