Thread: It's here... (a wee bit of a gloat, and some nostalgic emotional muck)

It's here... (a wee bit of a gloat, and some nostalgic emotional muck)

New AXYZ.jpgAfter 16 years of lovingly working with my ever dependable 2000 era Shopbot PRT96
    I have just taken receipt of a brand new AXYZ 4008 CNC router with 7 position ATC, 8.5 Hp
    vacuum, 5Hp HSD spindle, servo motors, helical rack and pinion, 8" gantry clearance
    - 14" Z travel, material locating pins, Laser digitizer (a glorified laser pointer), and a
    mister to help cut aluminum and other non-ferrous metals.

You will never hear me speak a disparaging word about ShopBot. They are fantastic
    machines and worth much more than what they cost, but as I have very limited
    space and the production demands have increased beyond the ShopBot's ability to
    keep up (or rather my inability to keep up with demand with the ShopBot. It can
    work 24 / 7 - I can't) I have upgraded to a faster, more capable machine.

The new machine is sitting in the garage, the electrician has done his thing wiring all
    the bits and pieces to the appropriate power sources ($2000 for the electrician, with
    the ShopBot I had to buy a 2 extension cords and a power bar and the wiring was
    complete), and I am impatiently waiting for the factory tech to come and commission
    the machine (in 11 days - I assembled the ShopBot with the help of my wife over 4
    days).

When it's gone I'm sure I will miss the old "Blue Beast" as it has fed my family and
    myself since I was laid off 5 years ago and it is responsible for helping to build the
    business to the point where a replacement is not only required but also affordable.
    Thanks ShopBot for all you have done. Because of you the new cream and maroon
    machine has some big shoes (and high expectations) to fill.
    Last edited by Guy Hilliard; 04-08-2016 at 12:11 AM.
    Guy Hilliard

Sawdust and Noise

Trotec Speedy 400 w 80W, rotary attachment, vacuum table, cutting table, lamella bars

AXYZ 4008 w 7 position ATC, Servos, Vacuum, pins, laser digitizer

CorelDRAW X6,
    Rhino 5,
    Aspire

X botter here too. Good learner machine to get your feet wet. You will appreciate the speed of your new machine, no more multi passes or missed steps. Well worth the investment. Good Luck Dan Nelson

That is a beauty! 14" Z travel!!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

That looks like a great machine and it' good to hear you've been successful with the old machine. I'll be getting my first CNC in a few weeks and looking forward to working a new machine into my little home shop. I'm curious what it is that you have produced with your old machine? Items of your own design, light production work for others, outsourcing your CNC by the hour or job, etc.?

Thanks!
    David
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

David;

Most of my work is as a cutting service. I also have a laser and the projects are quite diverse.
    I cut stencils for football fields, stencils for SMT (surface mount electronics), and everything between,
    Electric guitar bodies, Banjo and ukulele necks, children's toys, artwork of all description, building
    components and trim, decorative screens, boxes, signs, letters, house numbers, cabinetry components,
    jigs and templates, awards, personalizing client's materials, and much much more.

I have tried making products for sale but that didn't work out very well for me. Others have been very
    successful at making and selling their own products. To be successful you need to find a niche that
    works for you. It may be as a service, general or specific, or developing and manufacturing your own
    products for sale on a retail or wholesale level (or both).
    Last edited by Guy Hilliard; 04-09-2016 at 10:36 AM.
    Guy Hilliard

Sawdust and Noise

Trotec Speedy 400 w 80W, rotary attachment, vacuum table, cutting table, lamella bars

CorelDRAW X6,
    Rhino 5,
    Aspire

Thanks, Guy - it's interesting that you cut instrument parts because one of the things I'll use mine for is building acoustic guitars. More specifically forms, fixtures, jigs, templates, etc. but I also plan to do other things besides help with my guitars. Do people bring/send you drawings ready to use or do you do the CAD work (or some combination)? Are you also building instruments or just cutting parts for others? This all just fascinates me so sorry if I'm asking too many questions...
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

When you ask too many or the wrong questions all you will hear is crickets.
    (try asking someone on the forum for the drawings for a one-off project sometime.)

Sometimes the clients bring ready to cut artwork, sometimes the artwork needs
    a little massage to make it useful, sometimes it's a proper paper drawing, and
    sometimes it's hen scratches on the front of a used tissue. It depends on the
    client and where they are coming from.

I just cut and carve parts.
    Guy Hilliard

Sawdust and Noise

CorelDRAW X6,
    Rhino 5,
    Aspire

Guy,

This is a bit late in regards to the date of your post, but thought I'd give you a try. I'm contemplating purchasing a used AXYZ 4008 and would like to hear your thoughts now that you've owned yours for over a year.

Thank You,
    Roger