Thread: Storing the wooden hand planes? Show us what you do.

Storing the wooden hand planes? Show us what you do.

Doing web searches, I can find many ideas for storing iron planes, but few for the blocky wooden ones.

That is, other than a large wood box for one's entire tool kit. That is not what I want to do. I'll not be hauling these to work sites.

If you have any suggestions, post them here.

not pretty but it works
    IMG_20160408_150939148_HDR.jpg
    the longest planes are on the top shelf just out of view

Gene, I took about a 16" piece of a 2×8, cut a series of shallow grooves at various widths (to match the width of the planes) and then made dividers out of 1/8" plywood. It looks like a short version of those desktop file folder holders. Nothing fancy but it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom McMahon View Post
    not pretty but it works
    IMG_20160408_150939148_HDR.jpg
    the longest planes are on the top shelf just out of view
    Looks beautiful to me! Wow! And these are just the ones in your bedroom, right? You are my hero.

Thanks for the peek.

003 (640x480).jpgA couple of rows in the cubbies to the left, and one and a half in the set to the right that you can't see the front of. All those boxes are waterproof and air tight, and most have silica gel canisters in them. I used to want them out where I could see them, but this way there is not only no rust to worry about, but not even any dust accumulation on them. I'm somewhere past 110 of those boxes now, all in cubbies so no unstacking needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    003 (640x480).jpgA couple of rows in the cubbies to the left, and one and a half in the set to the right that you can't see the front of. All those boxes are waterproof and air tight, and most have silica gel canisters in them. I used to want them out where I could see them, but this way there is not only no rust to worry about, but not even any dust accumulation on them. I'm somewhere past 110 of those boxes now, all in cubbies so no unstacking needed.
    Is there just one plane in each of those big boxes??
    "When I got home, I drank six more glasses of whiskey and then I finished crafting this small harp, using a bandsaw, a spokeshave, and an oscillating spindle sander." - Ron Swanson

No. Most of those boxes are full. There are many other tools in various ones, other than the dozen or so plane boxes. For instance, one is labeled "H&R", one "Beading", etc. Also, things like Dremel, Hammer Drill, Stone 1, and 2 (for stonework tools). The "8" box only has a couple of planes in it. It's the lightest populated one. I think all the molding plane ones are stuffed.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 04-09-2016 at 7:02 PM.

This is a problem I have too. I saw on an old image from an antique woodworking shop how they nailed a batten horizontally between two studs and simply stuck te planes behind the batten, nose down. Maybe I'll do something like that too.

I think I want to store the wooden planes sole-down, and with the wedges loose. Just watched a YouTube video by David Weaver in which he discusses this issue of wedge-tight and body in tension or not.

I built a hanging cabinet with a shelf for wooden moulding planes. I have since run out of room so I am contemplating building a dedicated wood plane storage chest and using the existing space for metal planes...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ken