Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dumb things that you regret: buying, making, or fixing tools

Dumb things that you regret: buying, making, or fixing tools

Dear Sawmill creak neanderpeople,

After a caffeine induced manic email (that I regret already) to Stan, I was reflecting on the many dumb things that I've done on this woodworking journey. After trolling the archives, I realized that there's no posts on dumb things to avoid!

On my end, here's a few:
    1. Buying used, worn out Japanese planes as a "bargain."
    Most of mine were completely unusable, with the exception of a block plane and small sized one.

2. Buying a Grizzly plane set and assuming that it'd work out of the box.
    It cut like butter--a stick of butter against ebony, and the sole was warped in 3 ways.

3. Buying a Stanley plane iron from BORG to replace the Grizzly plane iron.
    It cut like cheese--Parmesan against ebony. Not too effective at all.

4. Trying to build a Hauser guitar out of flamed rock maple and ebony using a butter knife, razorsaw, and said Grizzly plane set. This was an exercise in futility, and where I first learned the value of good tools. The maple ended up going to Kathy Matsushita to hopefully make an instrument.

5. Buying a 26" 1870's Marple try plane, and trying to flatten it on a scrounged up 28" long piece of glass and 18 micron sandpaper. I ended up giving it to a luthier friend.

Also, dumb things that I've been talked out of doing (thankfully):
    1. Making a frankenplane using a Japanese Iron, Krenov attachment, and fancy woods.
    2. Splitting my own lumber from a log using a broad hatchet.
    Dentist + broad hatchet + workholding using other hand= career loss waiting to happen.
    3. Building my own bandsaw.
    4. Building my own planer.
    5. Cutting down a 40 year old air dried, laminated 3" x 22" x 70" maple slab for banjo parts.
    6. Making tools and heat treating them in the kitchen.

Thankfully, most of my other purchases/projects have been pretty satisfactory thanks to the advice of people like George, Stan, David, Harry. I've kept my fingers largely thanks to the kind people here.

Would you care to share your experiences of dumb things not to do/buy/start?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post
    Dear Sawmill creak neanderpeople,

After a caffeine induced manic email (that I regret already) to Stan, I was reflecting on the many dumb things that I've done on this woodworking journey. After trolling the archives, I realized that there's no posts on dumb things to avoid
    With one glaring exception those all actually sound like "constructive stupidity", by which I mean things that are clearly not optimal but that you also obviously learned a lot from without losing much in the process.

The exception is of course the abortive hatchet experiment. I hope the person who talked you out of that was richly rewarded.

My biggest doozy is sinking a stupid amount of money into every sharpening approach under the sun, and then discovering that what I needed all along was practice.

"My biggest doozy is sinking a stupid amount of money into every sharpening approach under the sun, and then discovering that what I needed all along was practice."[/QUOTE]

Everyone should take special note of this.

Cheap tools of all kinds from Lowes, Home Depot, and Harbor Freight. Especially Harbor Freight. I didn't really know any better when I first started woodworking, and kind of assumed that anything sold as a "saw" "chisel" "plane" or "file" were indeed good quality items representative of those labels. I was nearly turned off from hand tools until I discovered that there are much better tools to be found, which make life far more enjoyable. Oh, and sharpening does that for one as well.

So, using dull, poor quality tools would be my answer.

Oh! Also, work holding devices. For the longest time, I didn't know much of anything regarding how to hold my work, and just held it in some way with my body, or up against a wall/corner, or with clamps on a table. A vise - even (especially?) a portable type that clamps on to a table top, along with a few bench hooks, and a saw horse or two, are among the most useful things any new woodworker can have. You can't work effectively or safely if your work is moving on you, or if you can't hold it in such a way that you can work the surfaces you need to work. I'm sad to say that I went far too long without any decent work holding devices/methods!

I have to disagree with the OP on a few things, though! In general, I've had wonderful luck making my own tools, and in many cases, I've made higher quality tools that better fit my needs than I can buy (or, at least, than I can afford to buy!). Moreover, working with a hatchet, and splitting green wood is a great skill for any woodworker to have. In fact, I'd say these things constitute some of the most rewarding aspects of woodworking that I've done. Don't let fear stop you from learning, and growing your skillset. Just proceed with due caution, knowledge, and safety. Knowledge really helps the other two points fall into place.

Of course, I have had just as many failures and time-wasting endeavors. Most of them involve crude metal working as opposed to wood though :P Or were conducted when I just needed a tool or device, and didn't work as painstakingly careful as I usually do. Or else got frustrated and kept working - that's always a recipe for disaster.

Edit: One more. This one more recent: buying large, 4x8' sheets of hardwood plywood to work with. $100 worth of the stuff. Now, I'm sure if you have the right space, tools, and physical strength to carry them about, this isn't a problem. But for one who lives in an apartment, works on a 10x10' balcony, and has only hand tools and a (I discovered) useless-for-cutting-straight-lines-cheap-harbor-freight-jigsaw, and chronic tendonitis to boot, this material is a nightmare. Ripping 4-8' of hard plywood to width over and over again with a little Ryoba is not very fun. And rather damaging to the hands/wrists/arms. Also, it sucks, because it's not fun to work with. If it's warped, you can't just plane it flat. If an edge isn't cut square, it's difficult to plane that as well, because you just get dust, and not shavings. So it's hard to tell what you're doing; you don't know if you're consistently taking off the same depth of wood across the whole edge, or if you're heavy on one side or the other. Moreover, the edges aren't really conducive to gluing.

I think I'm going to stick to real wood from here on...
    Last edited by Luke Dupont; 04-09-2016 at 1:38 PM.

I suppose mine was buying too many hand planes. Good vintage Stanley planes that I tuned up and replaced the blades, but just too many. I don't use them all. I could do with a lot less. One of these days I'll sell off what I think is the excess. But every time I start to do that I think, "Maybe I'll need this one later" and I keep them.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Buying too much stuff thinking it was collectable, when I should have just saved my funds for the truly collectable. Who needs a dozen ordinary #4's, or 20 kitchen variety D-8's and so forth.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom McMahon View Post
    "My biggest doozy is sinking a stupid amount of money into every sharpening approach under the sun, and then discovering that what I needed all along was practice."
    Everyone should take special note of this.[/QUOTE]

Yup. I fell for that one BIG TIME. Bought 5 diamond stones, a shapton 6000, a worksharp with diamond lapidary disks, a piece of granite, a tormek clone (tried and quickly sold off) and a slow speed grinder with cbn wheel and LV tool rests. Guess which ones I need/use? Two diamond stones, the shapton 6000 and the slow speed grinder.

Buying sharpening gear hasn't been among my brighter woodworking moves......

Trying to tune-up a 1949 #4 Stanley by hand. Stanley and their green castings. I did it, I'm very stubborn . They were made on machines, they should be corrected on machines. Better yet, buy a new LV. Craftsman power tools, followed by Craftsman hand tools, that Sears credit card was a curse.

Fred,

Hope you didn't ditch the CBN wheel! Just the ticket for easy, non-burning concave grinds!

T.Z.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Usually it is about internet deals that were just too good to be real. Like a carpeneters chest full of tools which turned out to be the collection of rejects from the seller. At least the chest itself was usefull during my kitchen renovation.

Blog Entries
    Bought a fancy saw- one'a dem fancy "boutique" saws. Day 1 left it on the bench with a window opened. Huge blowing rainstorm passed that night. I forgot all about it until the next day. Saw was covered in rust.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zaffuto View Post
    Fred,

Hope you didn't ditch the CBN wheel! Just the ticket for easy, non-burning concave grinds!

T.Z.
    No Tony. I kept that grinder and wheel. It works every bit as well as you folks all told me it would. I'm (finally) satisfied with my sharpening setup!

Thanks man!
    Fred

Harbor Freight pistol grip vises. Back in the early days. Why I thought $2 24" inch vises would work anything like Irwins I have no idea. More recently bought some no name 12" F clamps from a home center. The threads lasted about a half dozen applications befor stripping.

+1 on all the above. I have hand saws all over the place, and the ones I use are the ones I thought were no good except for collecting. Ain't that the way of things!
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

I have a lot of sharpening stuff I don't use. Most of it cost pennies, but a few items I paid full retail for. I don't regret any of it though, and I'll continue to pursue that elusive ideal sharpening setup. At this point I'm after diamond disks on a flat top makita. We'll see.