Thread: Farmhouse bed

Farmhouse bed

Just finished this bed up. The last one I built was 13 years ago, still in college...and as I took the old one apart, I could really see the progress I have made in this life long hobby. I am happy with the way this one turned out and the wife is happy as well.

I used poplar, the finish is 1 coat of red "real" milk paint - sand -followed by two coats of black general milk paint light sanding in between, followed by red glaze, then 4-6 coats of generals wipe on Arm-R-Seal satin. I went very easy on the distressed corners/antiquing.

Here are some pics along the way. Happy to hear any constructive criticism.

Thanks

Leg glue up...no glue on the middle joint

Very nicely done!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Very nice....sturdy looking, too!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very nice! Nice design, nice execution.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

looks very sturdy &well done. thanks for the pictures..enjoyed seeing the progress.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

I think this is a very well executed project. I wish more people built painted furniture, it can be very elegant in its simplicity.

Nice pics and great design! Ever tried traditional ebonizing with Ferric acetate solution to make the wood black (steel wool in vinegar)? Only works on woods with tannic acids in them (oak and cherry), but you might like it more than paint. Beauty!
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.

Very well done. I really like the design. I'm building a similar headboard - shaker style, only the panels are not ship lapped, but will be separated by simple stiles. I was planning on letting the legs serve as the outside stiles for the panels, but I really like the look of stiles in your bed and how the whole panel is offset from the legs. That extra dimension really adds to the design. I may be back to the drawing board. Thanks for the post.