Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tape Measure

Tape Measure

If only I were a rich man! I would put out a reward for the guy that invented tape measures with legs!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Thompson View Post
    If only I were a rich man! I would put out a reward for the guy that invented tape measures with legs!
    You mean some of yours walk off? I trained my measuring tapes using the force.

I fastened large magnets to various places in the shop at lathes, bandsaw, etc. The tapes stick nicely to the magnets always stay where I put them. My theory is the magnetic force causes the measuring tape leg muscles to go dormant.

JKJ

That is why I have half a dozen free Harbor freight tapes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Thompson View Post

Need some thing to hold the dummy end and run it down so you can check the smart end?
    A tape measure with legs should be able to do that for you.

Howard Garner

Being in the construction industry for 43 years I always clipped it to my pocket. Wore some pockets out but heck they were work jeans. That habit has stuck to me in the shop too. Do not even think about it at all.
    John T.

Yep!!!

Plus a few that came free with other tools.

Heck with the idea that you can't have too many clamps......that pales in comparison to the idea you can't have too many tape measures...

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Have you checked your Harbor Freight tapes to see if they all measure the same?

John

there as close as the Stanleys I have. I have maybe 20 different tapes as I leave one at each tool and have one in each truck and car.

I must have 30 of them. Contractors have left me several gifts. My favorites are the Stanley (or Sears) models with lever lock. Pull 'em out, and they don't go in till you push the lever.

That being said, my go to tape in the shop is a Starret, which dad left me. I always use it for shop measuring, because some of my tapes DO read differently. It never walks away, because it is a hideous lime/chartreus green. I think it is ashamed to be seen in public.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Just remember not all tape measure are the same. If you have multiple tapes and they are of the cheap variety compare them to a good quality tape and see how they "measure up"
    John T.

The walking tape measure, pencil, blue painters tape (to highlight spots on wood I want to cut around, or be aware of) caused me to use a vest. It is the first thing I put on when I enter the shop.

... pencil ...
    Something I do with pencils and markers to always keep them handy at the lathe, bandsaw, etc.: I wrap a few turns of soft iron wire around the top of the pencil. This way it will stick to a magnet put in a handy place. Use the force.

JKJ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Brandstetter View Post
    The walking tape measure, pencil, blue painters tape (to highlight spots on wood I want to cut around, or be aware of) caused me to use a vest.
    Instead of painters tape, I use ordinary chalk. I can mark the wood, label pieces without fear of leaving a long term mark or any residue.

I prefer the Stanley 1" blade 25 and 30 foot tape measures. I've found them to be very consistent from tape to tape.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I just checked my HF against my new in the pack Stanley fat max and they are right on. For pencils I stick them through my belt between the buckle and loop

I prefer the Stanley 1" blade 25 and 30 foot tape measures. I've found them to be very consistent from tape to tape.
    Do you think the long tapes are more accurate than the shorter ones?

I used to keep 25 and 30' measuring tapes around the shop. Then one day I realized I hadn't needed to measure more than 12' since I built the shop so I replaced the bulky beasts with shorter tapes (the 3/4" 16' tapes are less flimsy than the 1/2" 12') for general inside shop use and even smaller tapes stuck with the magnets at the bandsaw and lathes.

JKJ