Thread: Irish Setter Woodcarving II

Irish Setter Woodcarving II

Irish Set HT 57 red.jpgIrish Set HT 53 red.jpgIrish Set HT 51 red.jpgIrish Set HT 49 red.jpgIrish Set HT 48 red.jpg

I promised you guys some photos taken after the finish dried. The first set of four in another thread I took just 30 minutes before a snow storm was about to strike and so I could not even wait for the finish to dry. Sorry about that. I should have posted the thread with sunglasses included to spare you guys. These I took today just before packing it up for shipment.

These shots are much friendlier to the eyes.....and the detail is much more apparent now that the light is not blasting off of the finish. Hope you like them.

Lower Onslow NS, about half way between the the North Pole and the Equator
    Hi James
    Another nice looking dog carving, keep them coming
    Bruce

I couldn't hope to produce anything like this. Fantastic! What type of wood is this?

Guys sorry I did not have my page open the last couple days. this is basswood Mike. I carve mainly in woods with some mass. It does in the main force me to manual or hand carving but that is my preference anyway. The mass allows me to offer up to my customers something with some weight. something that has some substance. The woods with less mass at least to me feel like you have nothing in your hands. I don't think that is a big deal for decoy carvers for example. but I prompt my customers that they can handle their carvings if they like. They are finished to be durable and will take some handling. But I want them to have something that allows them to at least feel the weight in hand.

Nice work. It looks great.