Thread: Hand Powered Drill Press Question

Hand Powered Drill Press Question

My dad showed a video with Roy Underhill where he used a drill press mounted on a wall. It's not a barn beam drill press. Do any of you have any idea what it's called? Thanks.

I think what you are describing is called a 'post drill'. Try that in the search engine of your choice and check out the images then get back to us.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

I own an antique post drill. I believe the name on the casting is Buffalo Forge, its stored in the top of my barn so I haven't seen it in years.

Thanks for letting me know the name. Keith might have answered the next question. Where can I find one for the old man?

Always wanted one.
    Paul

Rich,

I have never seen a modern post drill, the ones I have seen have all be very old machines. Maybe someone here can steer you in the right direction where you might fine one.

I think there are two of the post drills in my barn loft, the one I used a few years ago I'm going to give to a friend of mine whose Father gave the drill to me. The second one was given to me for parts, as I recall its missing the table. If I can find the second drill your welcome to it if you can pick it up, I wouldn't want ship it.

I've spotted a couple at antique stores in various stages of decrepit, and a number of them on ebay. There are a couple of nice looking ones up there now, but they're not cheap, and neither is shipping.

8. To my knowledge no new ones are made but old working ones can be had for 100 to 200 bucks from the pickers. If you are good at picking they run 30 to 50 bucks on average.