Thread: Maple bowl

Maple bowl

I somehow got this bowl picture double and can’t seem to remove one of them.

I finished this bowl 1n 2003 and never got a good picture of it, (before a digital camera, though LOML did make one for the sold archiving she always did (film camera))

I was able to make some pictures last week and also from another bowl, both have been used for all this time, this one being their fruit bowl, (had to remove a dozen tangerines and some bananas before making the pictures)

I loved that the bowl held up so well and the color improved to my liking, so here a couple of pictures.

The bowl is about 17” across, made the pictures with a piece of drywall as background, worked reasonable well.

Yes comments are welcome

Large Sugar Maple bowl.jpg Side view Maple.jpg Maple bowl bottom.jpg Original color of the bowl.jpg

Attachment 335516
    Attachment 335516
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 04-11-2016 at 10:28 PM. Reason: bad posting
    Have fun and take care

Beauty and perfection in a simple bowl.
    Fred

Very simple and very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Belknap View Post
    Beauty and perfection in a simple bowl.
    Thank you Fred, hope you like the additional pictures
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by robert baccus View Post
    Very simple and very nice.
    Thank you Robert , the owners are very pleased with them.
    Have fun and take care

The thing that pleased me much is how well the Polymerized Tung Oil finish has stood up with no additional coating over the original finishing, that gives me a good feeling that the finish is a good one as I used them for all the other pieces that people have purchased over the years
    Have fun and take care

Can you tell me more about your finishing process?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schatz View Post
    Can you tell me more about your finishing process?
    Eric I sand my pieces to a high grit, often 320 or 400, hold it out in good light so you will see any and all scratches, remove those, as the oil will bring out the grain but also any bad sanding marks.

Then I follow the regiment that is here on this HOW TO, for the Sealer I thin with real Turpentine up to 35% or so for better penetration.

I use the so called high gloss PTO (Polymerized Tung Oil) after that, so no thinning, just follow the rules and work in and keep the oil and workpiece in a warm environment.

I use a closable Beer bottle to store my PTO in, keep it right full with water, as the oil will float on top, if you don’t the PTO will react with the oxygen in the air and you can not undo that, you’ll just have to throw it out when it hardens up as it is than useless. HTH.

Polymerized tung oil application.jpg
    Have fun and take care