Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antique Filigree Platter

Antique Filigree Platter

I rarely post my work anymore for a variety of reasons - largely because most all of it can be viewed on my website for those that have an interest. However, when I upgraded to the Laguna Revo 1836, I did comment on the possibility of doing some larger commissioned platters and there were some that wanted to see what I ended up doing. The stock for those platters is just now being milled, and I anticipate it won't be dry enough to turn until next spring. In the interim, I wanted to play with some ideas. This is obviously an adaptation of the work of Douglas Fisher, and I want to give him credit for the multi axis/rotation style. I have not seen any of Doug's demos or workshops, but his methods are not that difficult to figure out. But....you need to like sanding!

This platter is 14.5" in diameter, big leaf maple, dyed in multiple stages to achieve an aged patina. Some of the areas have pyro work on them, and the center dome is textured using an acrylic method learned from Ed Kelle. Any comments are appreciated, as this is just part of the "development stage" for the commission.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's beautiful John. You have an interesting mix of textures going on yet the wood figure comes through. The multi-axis aspect seems very subtle, at least to my eyes.

Doug

John, that would be beautiful event without the multi axis element. Very nice.

A great looking turning. Pretty classy for a developmental piece.
    C&C WELCOME

Very well done John! I too have admired and studied Douglas Fisher's platters mostly for the coloring and off set turning. Your center texture and overall turning looks great and like Douglas, I just love these colors. Well Done!

I really like the color, grain and texturing; would love to read more about the acrylic center.

The 'off-centered-ness' is, to me, visually uncomfortable. Call me old-fashioned, I guess!

It's a bit busy for my taste - but then my wife says that I have none. Excellent craftsmanship, John.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

A striking and handsome outcome, looking well beyond any “developmental stage”. Nice to see some of the wood grain showing through. There is considerable range in shade -- nice subtle effect with restrained color variations. The textured dome fits in, so that the whole comes across as an integrated composition. I was over at John’s shop when he turned this – this is quite some change from what I saw on the lathe before the sanding and finishing began!

9. That multi-axis technique really adds to the dimensional presentation here, John. Pretty piece of wood, also. I like that you are always pushing your personal boundaries. I visit your website occasionally to see what you are up to....this one certainly does not disappoint.

No nit to pick, but just my own sense of proportion talking....I think the dome in the center could have been about half of the size and made for a better whole, but this is experimentation as you say, and admittedly, more advanced work than I am doing, so my observation is nothing more than a desire to see more of that beautiful grain show through.

Nice work, Counsellor!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

That is a beauty John and a piece that needs seeing in person to really get the feel of it. A little hard to see the depth changes in the picture. Always love seeing your work.
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

John, I like to admire the work you do, you turn out some very impressive items. But, I have or had no idea where to see it other than here. I'm probably not the only member that doesn't visit your home site, simply because I thought that most people would post their work here on this forum. I have no idea what your issues are for not posting all of your work here, but, I do know that people are missing out because of those reasons.
    Len

I appreciate all that took the time to comment!

Grant and Robert, my work tends to include multiple elements, color and texture. It certainly isn't for everyone. On the acrylic texturing, if you can catch a demo by Ed or get an opportunity to attend one of my classes at John C. Campbell, I think you would find it an interesting technique that has endless applications.

Len, primarily I found I was spending an inordinate amount of time online to the exclusion of my art and other responsibilities, and there are other less important reasons.

Roger, the center dome is one third the diameter of the platter, but I actually think it would work if it was just a bit larger! Fortunately, the good Lord made each one of us unique.

Hey John,

I've always liked Doug's work. I think his colors and designs are elegant, but I've never understood the offset. I've never asked him about it either, but it doesn't seem extreme enough to warrant the effort. I know it's difficult, but I think this would work better if the offset were exaggerated some more.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

Great observation, John. In fact, Bob Henrickson was at the shop when I turned this and that was exactly our conversation and that is the plan for the next one. It isn't so much the distance of offset, but the amount of "tilt" that will probably create the desired look. Doug does several different styles - some with three different centers, some with the "dome" off center, some with minimal offset and some more dramatic. I don't care for more than two centers, and I don't care for the dome being off center. But, I do like more drama!

Thanks for the comments!

Blog Entries
    Mr Keeton, WOW!
    Your work, as well as a couple of others on this site, are some of the best turnings I have seen. It inspires me. In all parts of my life I look at the top and strive to get there myself. I seldom get to the top but I enjoy the journey of striving. Please post your work here when you can.

All the Best
    Curt
    Last edited by Curtis Myers; 04-14-2016 at 7:21 AM.