Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Burl Ive's got to plane

Prashun, beautifully done. I especially like the leg details and think the split looks great as is. To my eye the burl speaks for itself.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

That's a great piece. Very nicely executed!
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

Nice, nice work. How much does that thing weigh?
    David

Thanks for the comments. David, it's not heavy. I'd say about 30-40 lbs. The table is only about 40" diameter.

I think the top looks sweet just the way it is - I wouldn't want to put some contrasting butterfly pieces in to mar / distract from the nice appearance. Question - how is it attached to the base now? Is it just the cross-frame? Maybe two inconspicuous battens from below is all I would add if support is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    LN #4, if that doesn't work then Lagavulin 16 yr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Serious reply this time;

Fill the gaps before proceeding, if you are planing to use epoxy, etc, do so before you start planing or it will tear out badly around those holes.

After that, you could do the roughing work with a jointer plane. Plane toward center from the outside, check your progress with a straight edge to ensure you are starting true.

Take the final passes with the #4 plane, also planing toward center.

If you don't mind the scallops, leave them, if you can't stand the scallops then sand with 320 after you are finished planing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Brian, i thought of that too. I was contemplating putting one near each end (in the 'forehead' and 'mouth' of the face). What's your vote? I have two large iron butterflys that I was thinking to make use of.
    With my limited woodworking skills, all I've got out of this thread is wanting to make scollops, drink scotch and listen to "In a godda da vida".

Blog Entries
    Hah! That is what first came to mind for me as well....I can hear the preacher from the Simpson's pronouncing it 'Eye-Ron Butterfly'!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Underneath

I never felt good about the support of the top.

I routed three channels and then inserted angle irons to help.

It survived the winter and spring months so far. Let's see how it fares through the summer.

I had previously finished the top with Arm R Seal, and then rubbed out with Abralon pads. People swear by Arm R Seal, but I found it to look like plastic. I am sure it can be done to better effect, but it was too much work for me. In addition, the glossy surface caused bright spots during the day, under sunlight, and at night under the direct overhead light.

So today, I sprayed it today with Satin Enduro Clear Poly (waterbased) and much prefer the result. I certainly lost some visual depth in the finish, but the blinding reflections are also gone, I think this works better for me here.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 04-30-2017 at 10:57 PM.

Nice looking burl table.
    I'm also a fan of general finish.My favorite is the water based Laquer it's so easy. I see you only finished one side you rebel you.
    Nice work as usual.
    Aj

3rd picture does look like it has an"attitude"? Almost like a ticked off rodent? maybe just seeing things......

Thanks but I did finish the bottom. It just wasn't sanded as well and I sprayed a couple coats of clear poly only. No oil. That's why it looks whiter.

Very nice.

these projects look so simple... Oh I could just knock something like this out in a weekend.... Yeah buddy - go try. I am guessing that getting the finish right took at least a couple weeks... One run or an ugly and its sand and recoat again..

I agree on the satin finish. While a full gloss really pops the grain - it can offen look lumpy, plasticky, and distracting... Not to mention act like a mirror.
    Last edited by John C Cox; 05-01-2017 at 7:56 AM.

Blog Entries
    Nice work Prashun!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.