Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Tape Measure??

Best Tape Measure??

I tend to use the old wooden folding ruler quite a bit. Folks laugh. My tape measures seem to break easily. Which tape measures do you folks use? What length do you recommend? I don't want one that is metric on half the tape.

I prefer 12' or 14' tapes for the shop. I'll use most any if it's accurate. However when accuracy really matters, I reach for a steel rule. I have 6", 12" and 36" that I trust.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Hands down, this is my favorite:

http://www.amazon.com/FastCap-PSSR16.../dp/B0001GUE3G

This describes it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHHCtt3Jd14

They have many tape styles for this: http://www.fastcap.com/estore/pc/vie...?idproduct=112

What I like best about it is that it is very easy for me to see the 1/16th inch measurements. This is the clearest that I have seen on any tape measure (at least for my eyes). I also happen to like the "PSSR16" model. The 16 indicates the length of the tape. I am indicating the "lefty/righty" model, which reads the same on both sides, so, it does not matter which side I use to read from.

Stanley 12'.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

I don't think manufacturer matters much. I can be really rough on tapes, so I consider them as somewhat disposable. (I too like the wooden rules - - not sure if they are just more durable or I use more caution/care with them.)

Also agree that 12'-14' are probably well suited for the shop.

As for accuracy, I read somewhere that 'measuring devices' in USA must be accurate to +/- 3/16in. over a 6ft. span when compared to NIST traceable standard to be legal (or some statement close to this) because they may be used in commerce. Stretch and temperature-induced changes in length are probably on the same scale as the legal tolerance standard? For me in the shop, it means nearly nothing - I just keep the temperature the same and use the same tape (or ruler) for a given project.

...And please don't let this reignite the precision/accuracy/repeatability holocaust.

One of their few products that doesn't cost dearly...at least not like the squares: Starrett 16' pocket tape. I keep a couple in the shop. Out of the package, the first 18 inches of both were dead on with one of their 18" square rules.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

I can't stand it - I have to go ahead and say it. 6' Lufkin folding ruler. Use the newer, cleaner one without slop in the joints for bench work. I started out as a carpenter pre tape measure days and have stayed with the Lufkin unless I need to get critical and then use steel rulers of various lengths as required. I know, I know - you asked about tapes. I could not stand it.
    David

I don't care about the brand. For real furniture I only use the tape for rough cuts and then only when I intend to cut the board 1-2" over my nominal needed length. I consider a tape to be a carpentry tool, not a furniture making tool. They are just too inaccurate for precision cutting. My measuring tool of choice is a story stick.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    I don't care about the brand. For real furniture I only use the tape for rough cuts and then only when I intend to cut the board 1-2" over my nominal needed length. I consider a tape to be a carpentry tool, not a furniture making tool. They are just too inaccurate for precision cutting. My measuring tool of choice is a story stick.
    Only as inaccurate as it's user. A story stick has a line, which part of that line is accurate. A pencil lead has a thickness
    Last edited by jack duren; 04-11-2016 at 5:38 PM.

I have used a Lufkin tape like the one in the link for years. Lowe's use to sell them.
    What I like about it, the measurements are sideways. When using to set your fence on a tablesaw you are not looking at it upside down.

http://www.lufkintool.com/tapes/tape...e-measure.html
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Blog Entries
    Interesting, I gave up using a tape measure for a folding rule and story sticks.

When I tried to measure everything down to the proverbial gnat's behind things didn't seem to fit together as well as when pieces were measured with a stick and a line.

A story stick has a line, which part of that line is accurate.
    As long as the same side or center of the line is used, things will come out the same.

What part of the line on a tape measure is accurate?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I just picked up the Fast Cap Old Standby version. I love it, it matches my other rules and is beefy enough not to instantly lose when I set it down. It's also handy having an extra pencil sharpener.

Whichever tape measure you decide on, buy if from a local store, and check it against a known reference for accuracy. I've seen them be off more than you'd ever expect, and even with the expensive ones. - And check them both when the end clip is pulled, and when it's pushed against.
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 04-11-2016 at 7:15 PM.

Blog Entries

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Interesting, I gave up using a tape measure for a folding rule and story sticks.

When I tried to measure everything down to the proverbial gnat's behind things didn't seem to fit together as well as when pieces were measured with a stick and a line.

As long as the same side or center of the line is used, things will come out the same.

What part of the line on a tape measure is accurate?

jtk
    "What part of the line on a tape measure is accurate?"

My point exactly

Hands Down, the Stanley Leverlock!!! The 12' model is perfect for woodworking. It stays out automatically without needing to lock it. Then to retract it, you just depress the lever under your fingertips. Boom!

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-30-810...=sr_1_7&sr=8-7
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty