Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Question about finishing wood: hand planing vs sanding

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I respect and agree with this, Chris. But the OP asked if handplaning or scraping or sanding affects the quality of the wood after finished with an oil. To THAT, I say, no. I still have no takers on my proposed test.
    Okay, a bit more on point then for the OP. If you are using any colour on your project I strongly recommend sanding as wood will take on colour (stain and dyes) more evenly if sanded rather than planed in my experience. My last sanding efforts before finish are usually a quick hand sand in the direction of the grain.

Quote Originally Posted by mark weathersbee View Post
    This is making me feel better. I was concerned that the plane finish would have a different appearance in a bad way.

I know traditionally one would have a smoothing plane and a scraper but is there a difference between the two?

Also just to make sure will a plane finish work with a stain or would it need to be sanded for proper absorbtion of the stain?
    I don't have much to add anywhere else, but I haven't seen a response to this yet.

From what I've read and my limited experience, a scraper is good for places where it's awkward to get a plane, or where the plane leaves a lot of tearout, such as around knots.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Mickley View Post
    If you read the Fine Woodworking article carefully, with each finish he put on just a light coat finish as a "sealer" and then sanded the surface. So all of the surfaces were sanded and it is no wonder that they all looked the same. When I criticised the method on another forum, one of the author's acquaintances wrote in that I should not be so hard on him because he was a young guy without much experience.
    Thanks Warren. Good catch. I had glossed over that.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McKenzie View Post
    I don't have much to add anywhere else, but I haven't seen a response to this yet.

From what I've read and my limited experience, a scraper is good for places where it's awkward to get a plane, or where the plane leaves a lot of tearout, such as around knots.
    Depends on how the scraper is set up.

A burr-less scraper abrades the surface somewhat, leading to an intermediate amount (between planing and sanding) of damage to the wood's structure.

A scraper with a sharp burr initially cuts the wood at an angle not all that much greater than a plane, and can leave a very nice surface in the right hands.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 04-13-2016 at 4:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    Depends on how the scraper is set up.

I burr-less scraper abrades the surface somewhat, leading to an intermediate amount (between planing and sanding) of damage to the wood's structure.

A scraper with a sharp burr initially cuts the wood at an angle not all that much greater than a plane, and can leave a very nice surface in the right hands.
    Fair. I was assuming with a sharp burr, since that's how I've always heard they ought to be used.