Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Might be a decent project..

Did a glue up of thin boards for a top panel, used an old plane to koint the edges..
    top.jpg
    Set this aside, had grooves to make
    side grooves.jpg
    Along with a rebate to house the top panel, I had these side grooves. They only go halfway through. Needed to flip the boards over, and mill a matching, offset groove.
    the split.jpg
    Some I had to finish off with a knife. Then a bit of shoulder plane work
    shoulder plane.jpg
    Testing the fit as I went.
    IMAG0011.jpg
    Will do, for now. Got all four sides done (whew!!) and then grabbed a big handful of clamps..
    IMAG0016.jpg
    Lid is now in the clamps, all glued up. Square was there for reference. Did had one fault with the 45 today. On those wide spaced cuts, where you need to flip the fence over?
    IMAG0007.jpg
    The cam does work, but, that bolt to adjust the fence's wood side? It started to drag along ON the wood. This is from doing the top rebate. I could just barely reach it. Tried it with the fence flipped...didn't work too well. That bolt has way too large of a head to it, sticks down as low as the fence does.

Will work on adding the bottom panel to the box, maybe some other items inside, and then a glue up of the box. Maybe then I can fit the two parts together,and maybe look to print out a green and white label.

Blog Entries
    On those wide spaced cuts, where you need to flip the fence over?

The cam does work, but, that bolt to adjust the fence's wood side? It started to drag along ON the wood. This is from doing the top rebate. I could just barely reach it. Tried it with the fence flipped...didn't work too well. That bolt has way too large of a head to it, sticks down as low as the fence does.
    The other trick for that is to put the fence on the other side of the plane body and use it like a lefty.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

This is shaping up to be some of your best work steven. Nice job. Now a comment - that tool looks to be a beast to work with on boards as short as the ones you need for this project - it probably would have worked better, in hindsight, to do all the work you needed to on a long board with this thing and then break down the box for your joinery. - ie: that last picture you posted just strikes me as unwieldy. Nice to see you are overcoming the issues with this monster.

Well, tried to use the 45 on some dados....
    IMAG0007.jpg
    Skates can close up enough, only one of the spurs would even come loose enough to use. Scored the lines with a marking knife, and a square. Backsaw and a narrow chisel to remove the waste
    IMAG0005.jpg
    Repeat for the other side. Got the rebate for the bottom to sit in, by using the Wards 78. Finally got things into the clamps, for the day.
    IMAG0009.jpg

Later, removed the clamps
    IMAG0001.jpg
    and fitted the plywood bottom in place...
    IMAG0002.jpg
    added a few dividers to the inside..
    IMAG0003.jpg
    IMAG0004.jpg
    Then spent almost an hour, fitting the lid to the box, and finally was able to add these.
    IMAG0005.jpg
    And a latch out front.

Out of space for pictures, soooo....

The latch got installed
    IMAG0006.jpg
    Then, just to see IF everything fits...
    cutters.jpg
    All but that big, fancy cutter, may have to make a notch for the depth stop on it.
    IMAG0008.jpg
    A little cramped, but everything is in there. Then I compared the two boxes..
    two boxes.jpg
    Box is far from perfect.....but it at least matches the old one. My very first finger joint project, ever.
    labels.jpg
    Maybe a little more practizing will improve things? Still has a few things left to do, and then decide on a finish....just Poplar...

First coat is on...finding a few interesting spots in the Poplar..
    IMAG0001.jpg
    Not a blotch....strange grain going across the front. Will try to lighten it up a bit before the final coat..
    IMAG0003.jpg
    Top view...streaky wood....
    IMAG0005.jpg
    And the back view. As for a side view..
    IMAG0007.jpg
    Original is in the background...about the same colour? That quart can is just that, a can. Inside it is a blend of varnish, stains, and BLO.....a Witch's Brew

Will get rubbed out tomorrow, and maybe a top coat.

Haven't kept track of all the costs to build this little box....figured the finger joint lessons were worth all the costs. These were the first ever finger joints I have done. Might need a bit more practizing??

It now has a coat of Gloss varnish.....awaiting that to dry. Might post a project photo or two?

Finish is on..
    IMAG0002.jpgIMAG0004.jpgIMAG0006.jpg
    Nice little, simple project?

Labels have been printed out.....will work on them a bit. To get the sash cutter into the storage bin, had to remove the depth stop. Original had a couple holes in the 1x1 glued to the floot that firs the bolt for that depth stop. Might just go that route.

When I have used brass brushes, I have tended to get a yellow sheen on the piece I am trying to clean up. I don't see that on your pieces, and wonder how you are either avoiding or removing it.

Haven't seen any yellow.....I only press hard enough to remove the rusty and crusty stuff....have other ways to polish the metal. For some reason, what used to be brass wire...has a steel core inside. Plated, maybe? Doesn't seem to leave any brass residue behind.

Thanks the Mike, I was able to add a few labels to the new box..
    IMAG0001.jpgIMAG0003.jpg
    Maybe someday, I can find a decent copy of the Roxton Pond label under that 45 one.
    Seems to be a 1922 -32 version. Skate is stamped as a clipped box, SW, Made in Can. trademark. Type 20.

One fly in the ointment....the bolt for the main stock's spur will NOT budge......currently soaking the offending part in PB Blaster for the day. Try a bit later to "budge" it a bit. Moving Stock''s spur's bolt came out, without too much hassle. Reveal a whale of a lot of rust under the spur. Might give it a soak as well.

Thinking of finding a "Bore Brush". Like used on a rifle. As soon as I figure out what "Cal." the holes for the rods are. Then I can oil up the brush, and scrub out the rust. Maybe use a bit of RBC, or "Break free"?

Well, heat, soaking in PB Blaster, tapping with a hammer on a screwdriver.......slot is looking worse. Decided to just stop, for now. Have others that can go across the grain.

Test fitted the widest of the straight cutters....had a problem. Although the channel it sits in is as clean as can be, iron wasn't sitting all the way in. ???? Pulled the iron back out, and looked it over....looking along the side, blade had a slight curve to it. Mainly along it's length. Set things up on the bench, and used a large ball peen hammer to tap it into flat, oil stones to clean it up. NOW it fits where it is supposed to go. I suppose I had better go back and sight down the length of the rest of the cutters..

When I have enough built up in the paypal thingy, I'll order the new spur and bolts. Might see about the rest of the missing parts, too.