Thread: Natures colors in a Birch bowl

Smile Natures colors in a Birch bowl

As I have posted the other bowl (large maple bowl) I will also post this bowl, never had any pictures of it, but now 13 years later I was able to make some.

The bowl is used as a nut and candy dish, and so sees daily use in a family of 4 growing kids and also by their parents of course .

It’s about 11 “ wide with a more large "drip dip" like shape, the colors are quite nice going with the figure and grain in the wood, and after 13 Years of use even better looking then when newly turned.

The people are very pleased with is and so am I, it is nice to see a product I made being used and appreciated, it appeals to me much more than what a dust collector would do .

Any and all comments welcome

Birch Bowl.jpg Birch bowl side view.jpg Birch bowl bottom.jpg
    Have fun and take care

Very nice looking and refreshingly unique. But, I was surprised that the birch wood is so dark. Did you stain or dye it? I like the tonality better than if it was lighter in color.

Love the shape, and the grain and color are outstanding! Looks like it has stood up to the test of time very well.

I'm sure that is a joy to use. Has that look of the dishes used by the "little folk",like their acorn cap bowls. That's the family piece all four children will want.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    Very nice looking and refreshingly unique. But, I was surprised that the birch wood is so dark. Did you stain or dye it? I like the tonality better than if it was lighter in color.
    Thank you for looking and commenting Brice , the color was like that in the wood, though it has gotten a bit darker over this time.

I’ve never again found a Birch log with those colors in it, I did finish turn a few more pieces later that came from the same log, and have pictures from when they were just finished, I’ll add those, so you can compare them.

I’ve always thought that it was a different form of spalting than what we normally see in Birch with the black zonal lines.

Birch.jpg Birch 1.jpg Birch 2.jpg Birch 3.jpg
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by daryl moses View Post
    Love the shape, and the grain and color are outstanding! Looks like it has stood up to the test of time very well.
    Thank you for commenting Daryl , yes I was pleased to see it soot up well, though it has shrunk a bit over time, I must assume that the wood wasn’t totally dry when finished, which is likely with the thicker shape.
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I'm sure that is a joy to use. Has that look of the dishes used by the "little folk",like their acorn cap bowls. That's the family piece all four children will want.
    Thanks Mel , It is good that they have several more pieces from me that they can choose from when that time comes .
    Have fun and take care